We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5-star hotel etiquette

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
5-star hotel etiquette

My family will be staying at the landmark Hotel Majestic hotel for 5 nights before flying back home. I hope to get some etiquette pointers from the more seasoned travelers.

1. In HCMC, how much do you pay the person who carries your luggage to your room?

2, If you order room service, how much to tip the person who bring you food?

3. For the person who make your room, how much to give him/her per day? We might be out and don't know who made the room, should we give the tip to the head room service person?

4. Anything else that I should keep in mind?

Many thanks in advance,

Andy

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,952 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5-star hotel etiquette

Tipping in Viet Nam is not the norm. If you do wish to tip, bear in mind that wages there are very, very low, so even $1 would be appreciated.

Edited: 03 July 2013, 03:22
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,215 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5-star hotel etiquette

A kind thought suggests a kind return.

Overall, VN is still a country where the thoughts count more.

How we act toward one another means more than a tip (there are exceptions as always.)

How you give is more important than what you give; but that should be universal.

With that spirit, I just know that you will have a grand time.

Much regards ,

John

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
721 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5-star hotel etiquette

Yes, Tipping is not the norm in Vietnam. However, Travelers always tip for the staffs who provide good service to them. If you feel comfortable with their service, do tip them, $2 may be much appreciated.

Cheers

TUN Travel

Saigon
Level Contributor
2,553 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5-star hotel etiquette

Agree with John.

Have a g'day guys

Cheers

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5-star hotel etiquette

Don't exaggerate with tipping but a couple of dollars will be appreciated by the porters and waiting staff.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5-star hotel etiquette

So if everyone followed TUN TRAVEL's advise and tipped $2 and house cleaning staff did, say 30 rooms, they would make almost a week's salary. Every day. Get real people! Inflation is aready at about 9%!

But then again, TUN TRAVEL's is in the travel business....

Edited: 03 July 2013, 09:02
Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5-star hotel etiquette

Tip what you feel for good service - if I stay for a few weeks the maid will get $20.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5-star hotel etiquette

I may be a sucker but anyone that cleans my toilet and comes out with a smile deserves a tip, especially after dining on Chile crab or a spicy pork hotpot :-)

I tip for good service and that is a personal thing. Do what you feel is right when you get there. Its not the U.S and it is not expected but go with your gut (and your loose change :-) IMO.

Mark

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5-star hotel etiquette

I don't tip. Its an American thing that just makes me feel awkward, I wouldn't want to perpetuate the custom into other cultures (including my own) I usually find a smile and thank you appropriate.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5-star hotel etiquette

def not a yank thing!! :P