We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rex Hotel or Grand Hotel in Saigon?

Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Rex Hotel or Grand Hotel in Saigon?

Hi, could anyone give me any advice on which hotel is in a good area for 3 night stay which is central to restaurants and shopping etc. We are looking for something with a pool. I liked the look of both the Rex and the Grand. Any comments on either of these? The Rex seemed to have a great rooftop bar for drinks later in the evening, I'm a bit wary about wandering around with just the two of us later in the evening. The Grand looked like it had a restaurant/bar on the rooftop as well? Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
126 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rex Hotel or Grand Hotel in Saigon?

Hi,

Both hotels are located in great position in the heart of Saigon, Rex Hotel is in Nguyen Hue Street, a large street with excellent view, next to the People's committee building of the city. It's the best location in Saigon, while Grand hotel is in Dong Khoi Street, a famous shopping street in Saigon. Both near other visit site such as Cathedral, Opera house, shopping centre, only 7 km far from the airport.

If you spend much time by the pool, I suggest Rex hotel than Grand, the swimming pool in the courtyard of Grand hotel seems smaller than 2 swimming pools of Rex hotel. The outdoor swimming pool is excellent, offering great view of downtown Saigon.

If you enjoy night bars, Rooftop bar in Rex hotel is the best in Saigon, one of the best bar in Southeast Asia, you are strongly recommended to try

By the way, Saigon is a vibrant city of nightlife, even you go out in late evening to try other bars, it's absolutely ok

Check out Caravelle hotel for another option for a lovely pool

Enjoy your time

Thu Huyen

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rex Hotel or Grand Hotel in Saigon?

They are both good options but the Rex would be my choice mainly for the history of the place and the rooftop bar.

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,114 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rex Hotel or Grand Hotel in Saigon?

Yes the rooftop bar at the Rex is great

Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rex Hotel or Grand Hotel in Saigon?

Thank you everyone for the replies, sounds like the Rex is pretty good. I looked up the Caravelle, it's a bit more expensive. Any other suggestions for good hotels with a pool in a central area? Thanks

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,942 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rex Hotel or Grand Hotel in Saigon?

The suites in the old part of the Grand are wonderful.

6. Re: Rex Hotel or Grand Hotel in Saigon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 06:19