We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks in Vietnam

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks in Vietnam

Hi!

I'm coming to Vietnam at the end of the year, staying there over Christmas. I have flights to HCMC an back. I try to get an idea what id doable in 2 weeks. I probably travel solo, atleast some of the time.

How much time should I count for HCMC? What else should I see? I don't try to see all country now but would like to get a good idea how it is. So HCHC, seaside and something else? I don't want to have too tight schedule; also want to relax and not carry my bag every day to a new place.

How much is Christmas affecting everything? Are buses/trains running normally? Shops open?

Thanks for all your help!

1. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 November 2013, 01:35
Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

If you are not in the rush I would suggest 4 nights in HCMC, 5 nights in Mekong Delta and then the rest at the Beach such as Phu Quoc Island or Mui Ne.

My suggested itinerary as below:

Day 1: HCMC

Day 2: Vespa tour

Day 3: Cu Chi tunnels

Day 4: Relax

Day 5: HCMC - Ben Tre Mekong Delta : Homestay

Day 6: Ben Tre

Day 7: Ben Tre- Sadec

Day 8: Sadec

Day 9: Sadec- Can Tho

Day 10: Can Tho- fly to Phu Quoc

Day 10-13 Phu Quoc

Day 14: Phu Quoc- HCMC and fly home

Everything will still open and operate as normal in Vietnam during this time so no worries.

You can easily DIY as a solo traveller. Public buses is cheap , convenient and flexible.

Cheers

Nhung

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

Hanoi and Ha Long Bay are worth seeing. What a pity if you skip these places.

4. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2014, 17:21
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

Hi Elmiina,

With 2 weeks, you can do pretty fine in Vietnam. Here is another suggested itinerary for your consideration:

Week 1:

You could do HCMC and Mekong, if you are into seeing more sights, you can have 1 more day seeing Cao Dai Temple.

Day 1 - Arrive in HCMC. Relaxing

Day 2 - City tour full day

Day 3 - Free and easy day

Day 4 - Mekong delta ( Ben tre & Can Tho visiting) - Homestay/hotel overnight

Day 5 - Mekong delta (Floating market visiting) - Back to HCMC

Day 6 - Free and easy day

Week 1: You could do the central: which is rich in cultural heritages

Day 7 - Fly to Da Nang ( take 40km taxi or bus drive to Hoi An town, a world heritage site)

Day 8 - My Son Sanctuary - World heritage site

Day 9 - Free and easy day (if you want to enjoy the beach, (Cua Dai beach), you can either stay in a resort there or take taxi or bike there (about 4km from town)

If you would like to see Hue - the citadel of Vietnamese last dynasty (The Nguyen), having an UNESCO cultural heritage site also, you can take 4h bus drive to get there. That would be another option for you. Hue is a charming and laid back city. You can have the next 3 days to enjoy Hue before going back to HCMC.

Opt 1:

Day 10 - Bus drive to Hue

Day 11 - Hue city tour

Day 12 - Free and easy

Day 13 - Hue - HCMC (1h flight) - free and easy

Day 14 - HCMC departure

Opt 2:

Day 10 - Back to HCMC

Day 11 - Cu chi tunnel half day tour

Day 12 - Can Gio national park (optional)

Day 13 - Free and easy

Day 14 - Departure

With a little tighter schedule, you can do it all the way up to north, the example above just to give you an idea of how it can work. You could also look for 14 days tour from prestigious companies and print out in advance just for reference (without booking the tours). That s how i normally do as it has more details of sites and explanation which is quite helpful for a solo traveler. Sometimes booking a packaged tour is not a bad idea, it will offer you hassle-free holiday. But well, holiday is all about experiencing, then some hassle may make it more memorable and not, remembering the face of local street vendors might be a nicer memory than just radio-like voices of tour guide. But here and there with a day tour is my recommendation, it saves you money and give you both the liberty for your next adventure.

As for closing down during Christmas, which is not an official holiday in Vietnam, (even though there are millions of Christian) i would also say no worries, everything is at normal price, notice that some hotels and cruises might apply mandatory participation at gala dinner for New Year.

You will have chance to see nice decorations on streets and Christmas Eve celebration right in the heart of Ho Chi Minh City.

Enjoying Vietnam !

Tho

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

I would head straight up to Hue/ Danang/ Hoi an or Nha trang (pick one or two after you research) for the first week and then do the Mekong, finishing in Phu quoc for some R and R.

Just remember that Phu quoc is busy at that time of year so booking very soon is a must. IMO

Mark

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

Hi Elmiina

I recommend you to start from Hanoi, and end in HCMC where is warm and sunny. Something like this:

Day 1: Hanoi arrival

Day 2: Hanoi free day or city tour

Day 3 - 4: Halong Bay cruise

Day 5: Halong - Hanoi - Fligh to Danang - Hoi AN

Day 6 - 7: Free Days in Hoi An

Day 8: Hoi An - Danang - Flight to HCMC

Day 9: HCMC free day or visit Cu Chi Tunnels

Day 10: HCMC - Can Tho (Mekong)

Day 11: Can Tho - Flight to Phu Quoc island

Day 12 - 14: Phu Quoc free days

Day 15: Phu Quoc - Flight back HCMC - Departure

Good trip!

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
4 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

Thank you everybody!

You gave me lots of ideas. Just need to decide which direction to go. As I already have return tickets to HCMC, I most likely have to skip Hanoi this time. But there seem to be lot to do also at South side of the country :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
598 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

I too will be in Vietnam for 2 weeks in January, so this thread is very useful. I'm flying in to HCMC and out from Bangkok.... I'd hoped to do a bit of Thailand, but maybe pushing it to cram that much in to 2 weeks.

One idea I had was:

Arrive in HCMC

Head to Phu Quoc (a flight looks cheap..... or I could go through the Mekong Delta and catch a boat?)

From Phu Quoc I'm not sure.... fly up to Hanoi? But flights look a bit pricier

Go somewhere central?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 weeks in Vietnam

My issue is what the weather would be like for beach days in Nha trang and Hoi an. I have been told January is not a good time for this.??