We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for 1st time traveller

London
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best hotel for 1st time traveller

Hi All

Quick question please: my wife and I (early 30s) are travelling to HCMC for 3 nights, can anyone recommend a 4* hotel thats close to the sights as well as shopping restaraunts etc? I was looking at the Nikko Saigon but felt a bit put off by the reviews.

We intend to travel to Phu Quoc island for 9 nights before one more night in HCMC before departing back to London.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

S

Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel for 1st time traveller

I stayed at Liberty central recently and I found the rooms very clean staff very helpful & it was very close to everything

breakfast was leery nice they have a great selection I could not fault this motel during my stay

Essex UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel for 1st time traveller

Stayed on the both legs of our Vietnam adventure at the Signature Saigon. 5 mins from the Benh Thanh market, many places to eat, very clean rooms, great breakfast, very reasonalby priced and extremely helpful staff. You could give them a try.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best hotel for 1st time traveller

Bad reviews - Nikko Saigon? First, the vast number of reviews on TA are 4 and 5 stars. It's listed #3 of 335 hotels in HCM and TA's Travelers' Choice® 2013 Winner (for Luxury Class). Currently, the hotel has 620 reviews and only about 5% of the reviews are rated less than 'Very Good". No, it's not across the street from Ben Thanh market but if you wouldn't be happy staying at the Nikko, I am at a loss to suggest any other place. Pray, tell us what about this hotel is off-putting. Good luck and Happy travels!

Richard

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best hotel for 1st time traveller

I also recommend the Liberty Central, one minute walk from Ben Thanh markets, central to all regular attractions in town, great breakfasts and comfortable rooms. The hotel also has a pool which is a godsend after a hot day of sight seeing.

Greg

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,402 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best hotel for 1st time traveller

I can see no reason for not staying at the Nikko Saigon Nikko Saigon unless the cost is too high for your budget. It is ranked as #3 hotel in Saigon.

Melbourne Australia
Level Contributor
1,196 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best hotel for 1st time traveller

I'm staggered that you have been put off the Nikko by the reviews. The reviews on this site are overwhelmingly in the positive. I've stayed there twice over the past five years and I cannot fault any part of it, or its employees or its services. As an executive chef, I'm impressed with the restaurants and the array of food choices.

When the reviews are overwhelmingly positive on an hotel, I think it is prudent to disregard the few negatives. There will always be disgruntled travelers for whom nothing is every quite good enough.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best hotel for 1st time traveller

The Nikko Saigon is to the south west of the central tourist district of Saigon and would, IMO, require use of taxis more than some other hotels which are within easy walking distance. In VN 5 star hotels usually offer great facilities for the business person, i.e conference rooms, business centres but not necessarily things that are required by the casual tourist who does not plan on spending that much time in their room or in the hotel itself. You will find that 3* and up offer very good facilities, in the main, without going overboard on costs.

Greg

Ho Chi Minh City...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best hotel for 1st time traveller

Nikko Saigon has good quality but it's quite far to central, example BenThanh market. I suggest Rex hotel or Liberty hotel. Hope you and your wife have a nice trip :)

London
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best hotel for 1st time traveller

Hi All

Thanks for your responses, I have narrowed down my choices to the Nikko or the Legend Lottie, price is not too much different.

Any final suggestions?

Thanks

Sandeep

Ho Chi Minh City...
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best hotel for 1st time traveller

I think u should choose Legend because u will have a nice riverside view, delicious restaurants in hotel especially Japanese restaurant :) and the distances from Legend to sightseeings aren't far.