We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chinese New Year & how many days for 3 countries.

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Chinese New Year & how many days for 3 countries.

Good Morning Vietnam!

We will be traveling to Vietnam, Burma and Laos from Jan. 26th to Feb. 20th. I wanted to know of these 3 countries, would one of them be best to celebrate CNY. In my USA calendar I have that it starts on Jan. 31st.

Are there any other big celebrations, events in HCMC during this time?

Also, any suggestions of how much time to spend in each country? Thanks.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,290 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chinese New Year & how many days for 3 countries.

I would suggest doing a search using the word 'Tet' as a starting point.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
669 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Chinese New Year & how many days for 3 countries.

Only Vietnam and Burma celebrates Lunar Chinese New Year I think. It is mainly from 31 Jan to 2 Feb, so you can visit Laos first then two others after the holiday.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Hue
Level Contributor
2,030 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chinese New Year & how many days for 3 countries.

The public celebrations are on the night of the 30th Jan. this year. For some days after that it is mostly a family affair. In HCMC there will be immense crowds and more motorbikes on the streets than you can imagine. Myanmar and Lao New Years are in mid-April but the Chinese in Yangon and the Chinese and Viet communities in the Lao cities celebrate at the end of January probablly also beginning on the 30th.

HCMC will be bigger, more exciting but, considering your trip as a whole, with many many businesses, banks, markets closed for days afterwards, you might be better off in Yangon or , say, Vientiene or Luang Prabang until Vietnam gets back from holiday.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 05:36
sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,436 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chinese New Year & how many days for 3 countries.

to even begin to do justice to Laos you need 4 days in Luang Prabang, 2 in Vientiane and 2 in maybe Phonsavan (Plain of Jars) or Vang Vieng (drunken party nonsense has gone) + whatever time you want for 4000 Islands and the south.

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
149 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Chinese New Year & how many days for 3 countries.

Tet in HCMC, not a good idea for tourists since all shops, restaurants and banks are closed down for the first couple of days

6. Re: Chinese New Year & how many days for 3 countries.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2014, 06:18