We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Eating out

Hi, we are staying at the renaissance riverside hotel, can anyone recommend a good place to eat nearby and maybe a good bar for sunset? Not too cheap but not expensive either.

Also, can anyone recommend or advise on a short river cruise, 1 or 2 hours max?

Thanks,

Jayne

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,168 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating out

Hi Jayne, I am not too sure how much research you have done on the Mekong River but a short cruise in or around HCMC would not be a highlight, IMO. The river is very dirty and polluted. If you want to get on the water I suggest going out further and spend some time in the Delta area, sunsets over the city there are not my thing:-)

Greg

Lancashire
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating out

Hi Greg

Thanks for your reply, think we will shelve the river idea. Only there for 2 nights.

Jayne

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating out

Hi I think you are not too far from the Rex Hotel where you can go to the rooftop bar for a drink and they usually have decent live music. Plus you should also go to the Bitexco Tower and have a drink in the evening (I think it's on the 52nd floor) and see the lights of the city and enjoy the DJ music. This way you avoid paying the fee for the viewing deck and spend your money on a nice cocktail instead!

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
149 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating out

I can only recommend eating street food. Get yourself Immodium, a good and healthy stomach and eat like the locals. Best Food experience ever and soooo cheap!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
808 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating out

The Majestic Hotel is just down the road along the riverfront and has an outdoor bar on the 7th? floor which has good views of the river and is a great spot for a drink. I could be wrong but I've found that there are a lot of international rather than local restaurants in that area. We've spent a couple of enjoyable evenings at Jaspas in Dong Khoi near The Grand Hotel which has a good atmosphere and decent fusion style food and drinks with mid range prices.

You can find more mid range local restaurants in the streets beyond the Bitexco Tower. Look for Tan Hai Long 3 hotel in Ho Tung Mau and go for a wander around the block. There's a market in the next street down and we find it an interesting area to explore.

Hanoi, Vietnam
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating out

Majestic hotel is very expensive but good view top bar, downtown Dong Khoi street many choice for you

Level Contributor
703 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating out

You don't need recommendations, there will be countless places to eat just walk around and pick one. Please do not go to an uppermarket hotel restaurant as you will miss the experience. The night food vendors have great food as well.

Hanoi, Vietnam
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating out

Hi,

From Renaissance riverside hotel, 5 minutes walk to Nghi Xuan Res. (Traditional Vietnamese Cuisine) at 5/9 nguyensieu road. 5 minutes taxi to Ngon res (Pastuer road). Secret garden res (Pastuer road). BBQ Garden...

Hope you enjoy!

DD

9. Re: Eating out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 05:22