We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vietnam with no clue

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
vietnam with no clue

having visited thailand..im intrested in indo china...im a recently single guy....travelled a lot...i have 3 weeks to see vietnam and possibly a bit of cambodia,

Budget isnt an issue...but want to do it as raw as possible...ive been looking at the map and didnt ralise how bloody long the place is...im thinking mekong delta maybe the place to start.

i love the temples and would like some beach time..happy to eat street food,,spend time with the locals.

Please help with an itinery

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: vietnam with no clue

Ho Chi Minh is a great city and has something for all budgets, if you go here stay in district 1, you can have beer on the street for around 7,000VND and meet people from all over the world on Bui Vien road one day then take in the views from Chill Sky Bar the next. Lots of good museums etc

Travelling up from here by train to see the rest of the country is a great way to travel.I'm in Vietnam now (January) and it gets cold if you go north this time of year.

If you are a beach lover I would say the places are overpriced and filling up with big resorts (if you like that)but so far hard to compare to the value and beauty of Thailand and Cambodian Islands.

Happy travels

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,226 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: vietnam with no clue

read the posting by Natalie also from today the advice given to her is the same as what you will receive, you really need to do some of your own homework first then ask for peoples opinions

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
14,368 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: vietnam with no clue

You need to do some research about this country - Travelfish.org is the site you want

(don't expect another Thailand)

PP
Level Contributor
67 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: vietnam with no clue

As to the beaches, Danang and Nha Trang are great. In Nha Trang there are a number of good hotels a couple of blocks from the beach for around $10 a night. Danang is surprisingly undeveoped. By March the weather and water are warm enough to be ideal. There are some good places to stay in Danang for $10 to $20 a night. You can take a bus to Hoi An from Danang. The expensive five star hotels on Danang beach are south of town and closer to Hoi An. Some of them are super nice.

As far as getting around Vietnam, the train and bus are good for short distances. Both the train and bus are slow compared to what you would find back home. For longer distances the in-country fares of Vietnam Airlines are pretty good (like Easy Jet/Ryanair good) and the service is good. The airport in Danang is close to town. For Nha Trang the airport is like 40 km out of town. Best to use the bus or train there.

The weather in Hanoi is cool, cloudy, and misty/rainy all the way through March. Halong Bay will be the same.

As far as temples, Cambodia is the place for that. Angor Wat is a top toursit attraction in the region. I think more people fly into Siem Reap than PP. Siem reap is serviced by numerous buses. Air Asia serves Siem Reap and has good fares and is a solid airline. Plenty of hotels for $20 in Siem Reap and a few high end five star places as well.

With three weeks you won't have time to see everything that's worth seeing. As well, there are a number of airlines that fly into the region and the fares change all the time. If you get a good fare to Bangkok you might want to start there and work your way east.

Have fun planning your trip. You have some decisions to make.

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: vietnam with no clue

thanks michael and others...bought a couple of books...planning begins

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: vietnam with no clue

I was in Vietnam in October, Arrived in Hanoi with an idea of what I wanted to do, but nothing solid. The first night went to "The Moose & Roo" pub, was introduced to Mrs Phuong from http://www.holidaytravelling.net/ . She sorted pretty much everything, efficiently and at a very good price. Including hotels air travel, train travel and arranging a motorbike for me to tour the north for five fantastic days. However the roads are not easy.

I would recommend; Hanoi, Sapa, Lau Chou and other northern towns, Halong Bay (although might be a bit cool now), Hue (temples), Hoi An (over priced taylors IMHO), Ho Chi Minh (like Hanoi but much more hectic) and Phu Quoc Island(wait til you see the evening street restarant/market in the town) had 3 days relaxing on the Beach. Fabulous and very low cost holiday. I will be going back and definitely be using Mrs Phuong again. Bruce

leicester
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: vietnam with no clue

Enjoy reading and planning, just be a little wary of first time posters recommending specific tour companies as above when they have never commented before. No offence Bruce, it may be genuine.

Brighton UK
Level Contributor
57 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: vietnam with no clue

We recently returned from 3 weeks holiday where we only had the first nights hotel in Hanoi booked. We then went to Halong Bay (organised by hotel) train to Hue, train to Hoi An, plane to HCMC then a Mekong Delta tour up to Phnom Penh and a bus up to Siem Reap. We had the most fantastic time and just booked the hotels on the internet as we went along. We loved Vietnam and the food was amazing, and the temples in SR were incredible. We didn't manage to go up north but that will be for our next trip.

You will have an amazing time and the beer, food and transport is so cheap!

London, United...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: vietnam with no clue

Fair comment, you don't know me from Adam.

The other thing Mrs Phuong did was give me a sim card FOC (not sure she does that always). She text regularly to give updates on rendezvous points with booked tours and transport etc. I thought that was either very caring or very clever marketing, it worked because she booked everything as I required it and I didn't have to find a phone etc.. I spoke to lots of other tourists who were on the booked tours and never found that I'd been overcharged. I think that most small tour operators are pretty trustworthy. The people are super friendly in general (although some of the non-english speaking locals up north seemed cautious/suspicious).

Personally I didn't rate Mekong Delta tour, bit dull.

The only real concern you should have is not putting your self at the mercy of the taxis from airports, I heard of some outrageous fares being charged and luggage held hostage. Best bet is to get the hotel you've booked to send a car.

B

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: vietnam with no clue

3 weeks is a short time to do the whole country as travel times are long unless you are going to fly everywhere.I went to Ho Chi Minh City,Nha Trang,Hoi An and Hue and back down to Ho Chi minh, Mekong Delta in about 3 weeks. You could travel the whole length of the country in 3 weeks but you would only be getting a few days in different places. I would recommend the places I went plus try and fit in Dalat as well.If you get to Hoi An then its a few hours up to Danang and a bit more to Hue,from there you can go up to Hanoi.I booked a flight to Thailand from the UK and flew air asia to Ho Chi Minh. If you wanted to you could do that and book a flight in thru Ho Chi minh and out thru Hanoi so you get to see the whole length of the country.Buses take a long time to get anywhere as the roads are pretty bad, I think it took us about 11-12 hours to get from Ho Chi Minh to Nha Trang and then the same sort of time from there to Hoi An. 24 hrs on a train from Hue to Ho Chi minh,so you can see travel times are excessive because of bad infrastructure in Vietnam.Good Luck.