We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itenerary advice - please

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Itenerary advice - please

Hi all

Planning to fly into Ho Chi Minh City (3-4 days) at the beginning of March. Also, want to go to Phnon Penh (again 3-4 days), Phu Quoc (5-6 days) and the Mekong Delta (2 days). Ideally I would like to fly back to England from Phnon Penh, however the airline fares (from Skyscanner) to fly into one country and out of another country is nearly double the price – unless someone knows something different?

It would be greatly appreciated if i can be given advice as to the best way of visiting all these places in a logical sequence. I think wherever possible I would prefer to fly (as long as its not mega expensive) as we are only away for approx 2 weeks and wouldn’t want to be on a bus for an excessive period.

We want a nice beach area and I am hoping Phu Quoc will fulfil this wish.

With regard to the Mekong Delta could I have some recommendations for a 2 day tour with someplace to stay that is comfortable and unique. We are not backpackers so will be laden with suitcases which can make it a little bit more difficult to be flexible when travelling.

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Patch

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,594 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itenerary advice - please

Here is my suggestion based on your interest:

Day 1: arrive HCMC (Sai gon)

Day 2: Sai gon city tour

Day 3: Saigon - Ben Tre Mekong Delta

Day 4: Ben Tre- Can Tho

Day 5: Can Tho fly to Phu Quoc

Day 6-10 Phu Quoc

Day 11: Phu Quoc speed boat to Ha Tien

Day 12: Ha Tien- Phnom Penh

Day 12-13: Pnompenh

Day 14 : Phnom Penh- fly home.

Cheers

Nhung

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itenerary advice - please

Cheers for that - really helpful

With regard to:

the Mekong tour is there any recommendations for a good company to use;

to get to Phu Quoc I didn't release that you can fly from Can Tho - any idea of the cost to get to Phu Quoc?

speed boat from Phu Quoc where would pick up be from and how long is the journey

is there a budget internal airline that I can use as I think I will need to get back to HCMC form Phnom Penh

Thanks again

Patch

Hanoi, Ha Noi...
Level Contributor
18 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itenerary advice - please

Hi Patch,

My advice for your trip as below:

Day 2: Sai gon city tour

Day 3: Ho Chi Minh - Cao Dai Temple - Cu Chi Tunnels

Day 4: Saigon - Vinh Long - Cantho (hotel in cantho/Kim Tho Hotel)

Day 5: Can Tho fly to Phu Quoc

Day 6-10 Phu Quoc

Day 11: Phu Quoc speed boat to Rach Gia (1.5 hour / 2.5 hour running basing on the speedboat - Savanna or Superdong) - Chau Doc (hotel in Chau Doc/Chau Pho Hotel)

Day 12: Chau Doc - Phnom Penh ( speedboat Hang Chau/Blue Cruiser about 4.5 hours)

Day 12-13: Pnompenh

for Mekong Delta tour, you can use Mekong Travel or Vinh Long Tourist. About the cheap flight from Phnom Penh back to Ho Chi Minh, it is possible to use Angkor Air or Vietnam Airlines. Cheers, Trang

Edited: 17 January 2014, 02:34
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
153 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itenerary advice - please

3 days in Ho Chi Minh City , I think you should discovery the city a day, explore Cao Dai Temple - Cu Chi Tunnels 1 day. Then take flight ticket to Phu Quoc island, relax there 4-6 days before back to HCMC.

After that, you should enjoy Mekong Delta Tour 3 days before take speed boat from Chau Doc city (Hang Chau express boat possible) to Phnom Penh city in Cambodia.

Then spend 2 days in Phnom Penh & 3 days in Siem Reap city with Angkor Wat area.

Hope you will have a great time in Vietnam & Cambodia.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
179 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itenerary advice - please

Do one of the itineraries above but fly back to HCMC from Phnom Penh or Siem Reap (not expensive, check Vietnam Airlines). Then you can get a straightforward return to HCMC - way cheaper than flying in to Vietnam and back from Cambodia. Don't forget you'll need a multi-entry visas for Vietnam.

Easy!

Ho Chi Minh City...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Itenerary advice - please

Here is my suggestion basing on your interest:

Day 2: city tour

Day 3: Saigon - Ben Tre - Mekong Delta

Day 4: Ben Tre- Can Tho

Day 5: Can Tho - Cai Rang floating market, and 4 hour bus trip to Rach Gia, overnight stay in Rach Gia.

Day 6: 8 am speed boat to Phu Quoc. It takes 2 hours, take shuttle bus transfer about 50,000 vnd/pax to Phu Quoc center.

Day 7-10 Phu Quoc beach

Day 11: Phu Quoc speed boat to Ha Tien. It takes 1,5 hours, then take the bus 2 hour to Chau Doc, stay overnight Chau Doc. You may do sightseeing in Chau Doc such as temple, mountain.

Day 12: Chau Doc - Phnom Penh: by boat (slow boat start at 8 am, arrive Phnom Penh at 6 pm, cost about 12 usd/pax, speed boat cost 25 to 30 usd/pax depend on the agency you book with, it takes 4 hours to reach Phnom Penh)

Day 12: Pnompenh: Sightseeing in Phnom Penh in the Morning may be with tuk tuk such as temple, killing field, then take the bus to Siem reap at 1pm, it takes 5 hour to reach Siemreap. stay overnight.

Day 13: visit Angkor wat temples, stay overnight Siemreap

Cheers

Tan

Peterhead, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itenerary advice - please

I booked flights with STA (UK) and I am flying into HCMC and out of Hanoi and was only £30 more expensive than from same airport, try a travel agent they can search for flights not on skyscanner, kyak etc

8. Re: Itenerary advice - please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:18