We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vietnam orphanges

Brisbane - Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Vietnam orphanges

Does anyone know of an orphanage in Hanoi or Hoi An. I will be travelling with my wife and 2 kids (7 & 10)

Thinking my kids could bring some presents and books from home to give to the orphanage plus make a donation when there

Not sure if this is a good idea or not.... Any advise would be appreciated

UK
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vietnam orphanges

I'd say not.

Why not drop stuff off at Saigon Children's Charity (www.saigonchildren.com) who will put stuff and money to good use.

(Father of two boys adopted from Thủ Đức & Gò Vấp)

Sai Gon
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vietnam orphanges

Hallo,

There is one just next to the Hoi An Church. I did have a memorable trip to there.

Marken

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
423 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vietnam orphanges

I was offered to visit this place once and im sad to say that I didnt have the time.

Next time maybe(:

http://www.huehelp.org/

Otherwise, I know a friend of mine in Hue donates most of his earnings to an orphanges. I do not know the adresse of this place but if youre really interested I can get it for you.

Just let me know

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,337 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vietnam orphanges

Dugald,

I recently read a blog of a young western lady (several blogs, actually - they are quite good, and touching.)

Seems like she travels Hoi An and Tam Ky (south of Hoi An) every year to visit the orphanages; the children know her well.

Let me see if I can locate them.

Regards,

John

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
6,337 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vietnam orphanges

Actually, you can do a Google search, and many will come up for "blog about orphanages in hoi an and tam ky".

Regards,

John

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
423 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vietnam orphanges

sorry about earlier post, I read Hue, not Hoi An(:

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,724 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vietnam orphanges

The problem is Dugald, most of the reputable orphanages no longer allow visitors, not only because it can be so disruptive of the daily routine but also (1) the intention of rather too many visitors is solely to have photos taken of themselves with the children to show to their friends (here's one of us with the poor little orphans; we took them a mango you know - we're so generous), and (2) supervision by a staff member is required at all times for obvious reasons.

I can say for sure that no reputable orphanage or other child-centred charity in Hanoi will permit you to visit.

As for what to give if you do find one that's amenable in Hoi An, books and toys can be bought locally for a fraction of what you would pay in Australia, so cash is always preferable as it can spent on what's really needed. The downside of that is the possibility that less reputable orphanages might not spend it on the children's welfare.

All in all, orphanage tourism is not a good idea, even when the visitor's intention is entirely charitable, as I'm sure yours is.

Edited: 14 February 2014, 17:19
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
310 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vietnam orphanges

Visiting an orphanage I would say is similar to going to a zoo. You are looking at all the animals, with no place to go and taking pictures. Its a sad place and your presence only seams to add to the sadness, despite good intentions. Definitely don't go. Cambodia has some schools that you can attend and give supplies while in classes. I was even able to give a little impromptu lesson. But that is a different subject entirely.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,937 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vietnam orphanges

I know this is the VN forum but this thread on the Cambodian forum is a must-read - particularly the article linked in the OP. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293939-i9162-k707…

+1 for CB's comments ...

"children are not tourist attractions"

Edited: 14 February 2014, 23:08
Hanoi
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vietnam orphanges

There's a lot of orphanages in Ha noi such as Bo De pagoda, SOS children village or Social Sponsor centre no 3. The best way is to give presents not money.