We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi

Hi, I am looking at travelling with our family to Vietnam for New Years, 6 days. Is there enough to do in just around Ho Chi Minh City or is Hanoi better. Thanks for your help?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi

No, Hanoi is not "better". Neither is Ho Chi Minh City "better". What you need to do is get a couple of travel books, on on Hanoi and one on HCMC, read them so you learn about each one, and then decide which city is "Best" for you. Have fun with your research. Chuck.

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi

Agree 100% with BlackBelt, they are so different and we don't know what you are looking for

Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi

Hi, I went and got some books today from the travel agent. We have teenagers who like to shop so that will be a must. As most teenagers they get bored at long distance travel so would like some day tours that don't take forever to get there. Thanks for yor help

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi

Christmas, New year, traditional new year, Saigon wins hands down for a foreign visitor.

Each for different reasons.

Regards,

John

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,699 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi

John, I don't know whether you've actually been in Hanoi during that period, but when the Christmas decorations are up it really is lovely, and great fun to mingle with the young locals who flock to Hoan Kiem Lake on Christmas Eve wearing Santa and reindeer hats.

Kimba, there are more things to see and do in Hanoi than in HCMC, but the downside of visiting at that time of year is that it will probably be cold. Also, if your teenagers like to shop for bargains in Western-style malls they might prefer HCMC as Hanoi only has a handful of them and they're quite a long way from the centre. There are hundreds of shops in central Hanoi but they're small and most have a more local feel.

As pointed out above, there is no overall 'best' as it depends entirely on your general interests and whether you would prefer to be in a rapidly modernising city or a more traditional one.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,298 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi

I seriously doubt if Vietnam would please you or the kids - head to Bangkok for something faster paced/better shopping

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi

CB, you know I do have many relatives who live in various parts of Ha Noi and Saigon.

I do have relatives, friends, and acquatainces who travel the two places every year.

My wife and I, we actually learn about what's going on in both places pretty much every week.

Much regards,

John

Level Contributor
46 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi

Daawagn, we have done Bangkok and Phuket. Was after advice on Vietnam. Please don't make assumptions when you do not know us. Thanks :)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi

Kimba,

Daawgon meant well. It's quite consistent.

Just as with CB, I regard them both highly.

Just do a Google video search for "Saigon Christmas" vs "Hanoi Christmas", "new year" and all the similar terms like "Noel" or "Tet". Watch out for the dates. Make your own judgment from the things those independent travelers recorded.

Cheers and happy traveling.

John

10. Re: Ho Chi Minh City or Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 18:07