We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hmc airport scam

perth australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
hmc airport scam

Hi All,

Arrived hcm this evening, 5th may.

Arranged taxi inside the terminal, no problems with getting the taxi.

THEN, the scam coming thru the airport gate.

The driver paid to got thru then tried to pass the ticket back and ask for $5 us.

I said that I had been to HMC 4 times previously and we do not pay.

He just said ok.

Then windows down and no a/con.

Thanks to the tripadvisor who wished the ta community up to this scam.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,762 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hmc airport scam

The airport exiting fee is 10.000d, so 50cent.

If you paid inside the terminal you have already paid at least 10 exit fees over the usual meter price...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293925-c30891/Ho-Chi…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hmc airport scam

I hope you still keep the little card with the taxi rego and time. If you do you may want to report this incident back to the airport. This should be enough to ban this taxi from picking up passengers at the airport from now on. Note that the airport in HCM city only allow taxis that register with them to use the airport (indeed it's quite hard to register for this service).

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hmc airport scam

"rt. This should be enough to ban this taxi from picking up passengers at the airport from now on. "

Hope not, because there'd be no taxis left at the airport. The Vietnamese are banking on "lost in translation" and confused newbies. Successfully, I might add.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 23:44
Auckland Region...
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: hmc airport scam

Great responded man!!!

Do you still remember the Taxi corporate name?

Should post it here for people to recognize

perth australia
Level Contributor
160 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hmc airport scam

no. once i said that we did not pay this fee the driver just dropped the ticket.

BUT THEN. NO AIRCON until I asked for it. hahah.

Travellers just beaware that you do not have to pay this fee.

If the driver insists, get a photo of his registration or of the driver himself, then the attitude changes very quickly.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hmc airport scam

We had a similar experience. The driver first tried to get us to pay for his ticket ($5) and then made it seem like it was a huge hassle to pay by USD so he had to charge us more. The meter read a value that was equivalent to $7 and he tried to charge us $20 when we arrived. Thanks to ta (and MattSydny in particular!) I left my fiance in the cab and went to get the hotel staff to help mediate. In the meantime, while my fiance pointed out that the meter read $7, the cab driver tried to convince him it said $70! We paid him $10 in the end after much melodrama from him. Oh and about the ticket, we took one from the attendant who T first refused to give it to us, but she didn't fill it out and the the cab driver TOOK IT AWAY FROM US before this whole debacle started.

7. Re: hmc airport scam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 15:01
Australia
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hmc airport scam

We had the same think happen - but thankfully to the forum I knew it could happen. We paid in the terminal and the guy told us that was all to pay. The lady taxi driver tried me first with you need to pay exit from airport - I said no we had already paid. Then we got to the hotel and she locked the doors and went to ask my hubby for money - then the porter turned up and she opened up. Thing is she should of known he doesn't hold the money lol

I understand that if they can get a few extra dollars they will try but as an arrival to HCMC it probably isn't good PR. We had a taxi driver too that was one of the recommended on here who did the - drop off in the wrong place and then had to drive around again adding 20000 dong to the price - but my thoughts were that is a $1au and he obviously needed it. What gets me is I probably would of given him it anyway which I did to the honest driver to the airport :)

However we had an amazing time and let this put our trip down - we are back again in 5wks and can't wait :D

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: hmc airport scam

"arrival to HCMC it probably isn't good PR"

Nobody in Vietnam cares about PR and they could care less about repeat visitors. They will all try to make a buck now, because they know they will never see that particular tourist again. And nobody will take a holistic view.

That's just the way it is. In Vietnam it is everyone for themselves.

Edited: 17 May 2014, 15:51
Australia
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hmc airport scam

I can see your point Jim - thankfully not everyone we came across was like this :D I have to give kudos to one driver I confused the way the meter read and thought you paid in 100000 dong soit showed 30 so instead of giving him 30000 I gave him 300000 - he was like no no its only 30000 and handed me back my money :D now that's good PR isn't it lol