We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus HCMC- Mui Ne and return- timetable, operators etc.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
587 posts
Save Topic
Bus HCMC- Mui Ne and return- timetable, operators etc.

I know there has been mentions of bus schedule for HCMC to Mui Ne, but I wish to confirm the latest revision if it's still valid.

Appreciate anyone can advice the present bus schedule for:

(a) HCMC to Mui Ne - most probably on a Friday

(b) Mui Ne to HCMC - most probably on a Sun or Mon

(1) What are the bus companies that offer this route? And which are the preferred ones?

(2) Where do I board the bus?

(3) How much is the bus ticket?

Thanks for your advice.

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus HCMC- Mui Ne and return- timetable, operators etc.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293925-c206003/Ho-Ch…

It takes one day to go to Mui Ne, same for coming back by bus, so at least stay there one week.

Or get the train.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus HCMC- Mui Ne and return- timetable, operators etc.

The best coach companies are Phoung Trang and Sinh Café. Having said that the travel time is now so great that the train is a far better option.

The train takes to Phan Thiet Station where the No 9 district bus (the red one ) meets the train and takes you on to your hotel. I presume you are going to Ham Tien which is the most popular part of the coast and is erroneously sold as Mui Ne. Mui Ne is in fact another destination some 8-10kms further along the coast, but also serviced by the district bus.

The Coach is now taking over 6 hours to go this 175kms which is something of a joke in this day and age. The train leaves HCMC at 6.50 am which is a early start for some but you do get to the coast at a reasonable time to make use of the balance of the day.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Ross

Malaysia
Level Contributor
587 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus HCMC- Mui Ne and return- timetable, operators etc.

Thanks so much for the reply, but is there only one train per day from Saigon to Mui Ne or Phan Theit? Please advise the other schedule if applicable..

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus HCMC- Mui Ne and return- timetable, operators etc.

dtanel there is only one train, the SPT2 to Phan Thiet. There are other trains but they go to the old Moung Man Station which requires a taxi for 40 kms onwards to Ham Tien or Mui Ne.

Cheers,

Ross

Malaysia
Level Contributor
587 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus HCMC- Mui Ne and return- timetable, operators etc.

Thanks for your replies. I have more questions which I may you could assist me with:

1. How long is the train ride from HCMC to Phan Thiet/ Mui Ne area? You mentioned that it starts at 6.50am, but what time do I arrive in Mui Ne, tentatively?

2. And what about the train from Phan Thiet to HCMC- what time is the schedule ? I presume the duration should be the same for return journey.

3. If I were to travel on 1 Sept 2014 from Phan Thiet to HCMC, and knowing that 2 Sept 2014 is a country wide Public holidays, how early in advance that I should purchase the return tickets? How bad a crowd can I expect since I will be travelling into the city, which I presume is in the opposite direction as the working crowd..

Thanks for your advice!! Really appreciate it!

Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
4,764 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus HCMC- Mui Ne and return- timetable, operators etc.

from seat61.com/Vietnam.htm#Phan_Thiet_&_Miu_Ne

Saigon station depart 06:50 17:05

Phan Thiet depart 13:55 22:40

4 hour trip.

pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus HCMC- Mui Ne and return- timetable, operators etc.

It depends on where you are actually staying. Mui Ne is a generic term for a large length of coastline covering the Phan Thiet wards of Phu Hai, Ham Tien and Mui Ne itself. There is a coach service that meets the train at Phan Thiet station and will drop you off along the way generally next to your chosen accommodation. The same applies on the return journey. There are bus stops displayed and you are after the number 9 bus.

You should always buy your ticket in advance to be sure. Your Hotels will be able to do this for you if you are not in Vietnam at the time.

Cheers Ross

orange county
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus HCMC- Mui Ne and return- timetable, operators etc.

Hi Ross, I'm planning to go from Saigon to Ham Tien. Where can I go to book train? Do you have any idea how much train tix to that is?

Then I go from Ham Tien to Mui Ne Bay Resort in Sand Hill for another 4 nights (take bus or taxi?) I'm on a budget.

Then from there to Dalat (Coach?) Should I prebook all transportation in Saigon? Where?

Thankyou so much.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
10,126 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus HCMC- Mui Ne and return- timetable, operators etc.

Dear Kammii,

You can buy train tkts from the official train ticket office at 275 Pham Ngu Lao St. which is in the backpacker area where most young people stay. The ticket is 176,000dong and the trip takes 4 hrs and is a lot of fun. Much better than the bus. If you're not going to be in Saigon for long before your trip and were worried there maybe no seats left email the hotel you have booked to stay in in HCMC and they will get you tkts for you and they will hold them at the hotel for you. They may charge a small fee for doing this but its a good service they provide.

The No9 red bus is 15,000dong to 30,000dong depending how far along the coast you're going. Your hotel in Ham Tien can organise your bus ticket up to Dalat.

Warm regards and travel safe in Vietnam, Dirty Pierre.

Edited: 16 November 2014, 11:14
pacific palms
Destination Expert
for Mui Ne
Level Contributor
9,605 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus HCMC- Mui Ne and return- timetable, operators etc.

Yes the info regarding the ticket office is correct. When you go counting along the buildings to find 275 you will come to 275a and you would presume that 275 is in the same building, however it is 3 doors further along and is a travel agent who happens to have a VNR desk.

The No9 red bus will meet you at Phan Thiet (the station you book to) Station and when you get through the taxi scrum the conductor will ask you where you want to go and you'll be dropped almost out front. Ham Tien is 35000Dong.

Anywhere around the Mui Ne area can be accessed by the BLUE bus which actually has bus stops along the way clearly marked. To get to Mui Ne Bay Resort will cost you 13,000 Dong each way.

Your Resort will look after a Coach booking to Dalat for you, and you will be picked up at your Resort.

Cheers Ross