We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

spending money

Carlisle, United...
4 posts
Save Topic
spending money

how much money would i need a day in saigon. hotels are paid for.

i'm looking to do a bit of shopping. won't be doing alot of drinking.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: spending money

Anything between $10 and $1000, who should know?

You can get a meal for few $ on the street or dine in a luxurious restaurant, you can buy some cheap souvenirs or go to Gucci for shopping... Like everywhere in the world there is no limit to spend money, depends on what you like.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: spending money

As Peter has just stated, impossible to say but out if all the countries in Asia Vietnam is the cheapest by far followed by Indonesia.

Carlisle, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: spending money

i'm more of a street food person that would rather mix with locals than sit in a posh restaurant.

just some idea of what sort of money i would need just for food and a couple drinks each day

Carlisle, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: spending money

thanks very much. i have been all over thailand so got a failry good idea. i think

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: spending money

I live halfway from the CBD and the airport.

Breakfast for Kim and I this morning was a bowl of glass noodles in a pork bones broth with slices of smallgoods style pork sausage and bean shoots and mint leaves. 25,000dong each.

Lunch was half a kilo of Lychees @ 25,000 per kilo. between two people.

Dinner was chilli fried rice with stir fried prawns, squid and baby octopus. Plus a plate of sweet and sour pork spare ribs for two people. 90,000dong.

Drinks were freshly squeezed orange juice and freshly squeezed passionfruit @ 8,000 dong each. Total food bill for two people was 168,000dong which at todays exchange rate is GBP4.64

I also visited my Dr for my bronchitis, consultancy fee 100,000dong and my prescription medicine came to 380,000dong so I spent GBP13.25

making it an expensive day compared to normal.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: spending money

If you drink cans of Heineken in my neighbourhood on the pavement sitting on plastic chairs expect to pay 10,000dong but if you drink the local draught beer its 12,000dong per litre.

so GBP27p for a can of Heineken beer and GBP33p for a litre of local draught beer.

derby
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: spending money

can you give me some info me and wife are comeing on the 28/6/14 staying at the ramarna dis 3 is thar some good st food in that area thanks

Edited: 22 June 2014, 13:40
Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,966 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: spending money

Dear Gary,

Ramana Hotel is about a 10 min walk to one of my favourite BBQ Pork Rib joint. And its local food at its best. A plate of rice with veges and a marinated pork rib costs 35,000dong and an extra rib will cost 25,000dong. So for 60,000dong (GBP1.65) you will be well satisfied.

Your hotel is on Le Van Sy st., so walk to the closest intersection of Tran Huy Lieu st.turn left into THL st and walk for 10mins till you come to the intersection of Huynh Van Banh. Stop right there as on your left you will see a rotating BBQ Spit out the front of the 2nd shop from the intersection. Its actually at 67 Tran Huy Lieu st.

Here are some links to what to look for: …postimg.org/7lizksbjb/Suon_Cheo_67_Tran_Huy…

and this is a link to the BBQ Spit: …postimg.org/q2deblrhj/BBQ_Pork_Suon_Cheo_67…

Enjoy the food. I am only 12mins walk from your hotel so if you want to try other places feel free to PM me and I can introduce you to the real non tourist eating places nearby.

Warm regards Dirty Pierre.

Carlisle, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: spending money

Thank you very much. That's really helpful

derby
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: spending money

what can me and wife expect it will be the first time here and some people are saying it is not a good area we shuod stay in ds 1 we are only in hmc for two nights them going to mu n ei phan tet for 8 nights then back to the ramarna for fine nights me and wife dont do tourast things we like to see what the local pepul see and eat were thay eat but only the good food can you advice thanks and you never no we cud bump in to each other as muct info possabull

Edited: 22 June 2014, 19:11