We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How do you withdraw money with a foreign card?

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
How do you withdraw money with a foreign card?

I was wondering if any ATM in Vietnam will allow you to withdraw money from foreign cards. I know in Japan the last time I went that wasn't the case. Only certain ATMs with a specific logo will allow foreign cards to be used, and those ATMs were usually found in government buildings, like post offices. Is there something I have to look for? I'll be leaving from the US this Oct.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How do you withdraw money with a foreign card?

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293921-s601/Vietnam:…

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How do you withdraw money with a foreign card?

Make sure you advise your bank of the countries you will be visiting

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How do you withdraw money with a foreign card?

You will have no problems using ATMs in Vietnam, look for the logos of all the cards they accept on the ATM itself.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How do you withdraw money with a foreign card?

Know your limits, it's important. I'm talking about daily withdrawal limits on a debit card - you still can't exceed limits from your home bank, and if you attempt it, you could have your account frozen. Know the current exchange rate because it's all in Dong and it could be confusing. I've used Viet ATM's for 6 trips with no problems because I write a letter to my home bank with my itinerary outlined. Also be careful which ATM you use. I discovered that Eximbank has no local fees. Remember that cr card cash advances are very expensive!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4,671 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How do you withdraw money with a foreign card?

Do Vietnam ATMs return your card before or after the money?

Cheers Mac

Edited: 11 July 2014, 23:59
Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How do you withdraw money with a foreign card?

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if ATMs are widely available throughout the city. and if they are, do all of them accept foreign cards, or do I have to look for the tell-tale PLUS, CIRRUS or MAESTRO logo? I've check the ATM locator on the PLUS website and they were all in big banks in the city center. I'm asking this because I'll be staying far from the city center, and want to know if I'd have to travel into the city center to get money out every time, which is a big hassle.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,416 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How do you withdraw money with a foreign card?

Dear Quang,

Can you please give me the street address where you will be staying?

I dont need the actual number in the street just the street Name and Phuong number and the Quan number or name.

I can then do a search at this end.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,247 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How do you withdraw money with a foreign card?

Quang K ........... There are so many ATM's available all over the city that you really are spoilt for choice. Can't say I ever experienced any problems using my foreign card (bank aware of where I was) while living there, whatever bank's ATM I used. Biggest problem was the non standardisation of fees charged, not all are same same. Case of input card, select language if it asks you, bang in pin number, select or key in the amount required. I found that if you keyed more than the ATM or your own card's daily limit would allow to be withdrawn, the screen would display what you could have. Card comes out first, then money, then receipt...........

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,177 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How do you withdraw money with a foreign card?

ATM's don't seem to be standardized in Vietnam. Some do not accept foreign cards (a major problem in Laos, by the way), but most do. As to whether your card comes back before or after - depends on the brand of machine. They have many free-standing ATM's here that I always avoid - I prefer the ATM to be located in or outside of a real bank that's open (not always possible). Yes, it's far easier to use an ATM on the tourist trail than off the trail (as I learned in Quy Nhon recently).

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
31 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How do you withdraw money with a foreign card?

Thanks DirtyPierre, if you can do that for me it'll be great. I'll be staying with a family friend on mieu go xoai in phuong binh hung hoa A. I could just ask him if he knows of ATMs around, but I'm sure he doesn't have to deal with foreign cards. Also, if possible another poster made a lot of sense when he/she posted that it would be safer to withdraw from ATMs attached to actual banks, instead of free-standing models. However, me being so far away from the city, I don't know if that'll be possible. Whatever you can find for me would be great.