We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to meet a woman that I met online.

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Caledonia, Michigan
2 posts
Save Topic
Going to meet a woman that I met online.

I plan on flying to HCMC in late September to meet a woman that I met online. I read the recent post about the VOA. I hope that is true. I don't want to spend a lot of time at the airport. I am concerned about money or credit cards? Should I bring cash or are most major credit cards accepted? Can I use my cell phone there? What about food/water problems? Sorry for asking too many questions!

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to meet a woman that I met online.

Too bad your not going over a little sooner as I'll be there at the beginning and middle of September. You can get a visa on arrival but I just like the security of getting it before I go. Just got mine yesterday. $100.00 plus $30.00 for getting it same day at SF Embassy. After handing them the visa application (that you must print online) and one passport photo plus $130.00 I had my visa in 20 minutes. you can also easily do them by mail, just have self addressed envelop to return to you. If you get it before you go you breeze through immigration and don't have to wait in line. Your choice. I always carry about $300-$400.00 cash on me all the time for emergency and can always exchange at airport, if rates are good, or bank in the city. I found that it's very convenient to use ATM's when I get to a country and BofA is partners with many banks so there aren't fees in those cases. Check with your bank. I also set up a separate checking account with an ATM that I use only for traveling. I never keep more then $1000.00 in the account and if the card is stolen I don't have much to lose. I also only take one other credit card with me and always call the credit card company and let them know where I'm going and the dates. Same with the ATM card. So, for me, always some cash, one ATM with limited funds, and one credit card. You can also open an account on Zoom for emergency funds if needed. If you have an unlocked cell phone you can buy a SIM card at the airport and put it in and power it up. You should also load it with some extra time, just in case. Anytime I travel to a foreign country I always add the tourist police/police number in the phone and the number for the US Embassy. Don't forget to register your trip with the US State Department "Smart Traveler Program". It's free and they will know if you don't leave the country and come find you. if your cell phone is locked then you will need to get an unlocked one or buy one when you land. Always best to get a quadband that will work in almost every country in the world. All food in restaurants and hotels should be fine. If you eat street food then just make sure it's cooked well. Take some Tums with you. Never drink the tap water and always drink bottled water. You should also be careful with ice in drinks or ice cubes, some people get sick from those and sometimes fruit. Water is the major one so bottled water only. You will be approached by men on motorbikes constantly when you are not with her offering women, don't do it. Many are diseased and others are ladyboys. Just be safe, don't get drunk and act a fool, and have fun.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 06:29
Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to meet a woman that I met online.

All of those questions can be answered very quickly by using the search box and the links on this very page.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 06:48
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
134 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to meet a woman that I met online.

Sim card: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293921-c187446/Vietn…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293921-s601/Vietnam:…

VOA: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293921-c148049/Vietn…

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to meet a woman that I met online.

"You will be approached by men on motorbikes constantly when you are not with her offering women". No you won't, unless you're wandering around alone in the small hours.

Flying in to meet someone you met online? Tread very, very carefully indeed.

Ba Ria-Vung Tau...
Level Contributor
811 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to meet a woman that I met online.

can only say as timmyruss tread carefully and be very carefull best of luck

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to meet a woman that I met online.

If she meets you alone, be forwarned. If she brings the entire family, all's good, but it will be expensive.

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
444 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to meet a woman that I met online.

Good one , Jim. :-)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to meet a woman that I met online.

If she brings the entire family, abort mission immediately! Start of a very slippery slope.

Ba Ria-Vung Tau...
Level Contributor
811 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to meet a woman that I met online.

have you seen her or just emails ....lock up your Atm card and credit card.avoid gold shops and telephone outlets what else can we tell you . we are here to help ..

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to meet a woman that I met online.

depends on context as far as meet - if just as a mate than you will be fine, but I would think it bit strange if met for more than that.

Edited: 31 July 2014, 10:43