We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purchase of Vietnam Dong

Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
37 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Purchase of Vietnam Dong

Hi. Would like to know whether I can purchase Dong currency with Malaysian ringgit (RM) at the airport and city? Thanks.

Clement.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,969 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purchase of Vietnam Dong

Yes you can both at the airport and at gold dealers around town.

Miri, Malaysia
Level Contributor
37 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purchase of Vietnam Dong

Hi. Thank you for the prompt reply.

Clement.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,043 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purchase of Vietnam Dong

Some travel agents have currency exchange. in HCMC I used a currency exchange shop near Starbucks on DeTham st, which runs between Pham Ngu Lau st and Bui Vien st.

There are also ATMs all over the place so take your ATM card and let your bank know you will be using it in Vietnam.

Also, when I arrived into HCMC I exchanged money at the airport terminal and got a very good rate, and asked for some small denominations so I could get the bus to the city.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 01:22
Saigon
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Purchase of Vietnam Dong

Ha Tam gold shop right next to Ben Thanh Market always offers very high exhange rate comparing to others. Check them out or you can see many exchange desks along Le Loi st and Dong Khoi d1.

Cheers

Level Contributor
30 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purchase of Vietnam Dong

HI everyone,

Where will I get a better rate to get VND?

Should I get them at Sydney Airport (from AUD to VND) or should I bring AUD and change in VND in HCMC?

Also, don't worry I know I need USD for the VOA :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Purchase of Vietnam Dong

It's best to bring AUD to VN then change may be $AUD20 into $VND at the airport for taxi cost (depending on where u r going to if within district 1 then taxi cost should be under $AUD10). Do not change into VND at Sydney airport as they will give u the worst exchange rate plus commission.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
21,787 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purchase of Vietnam Dong

As a rule of thumb it's always a better rate if you buy the currency in the country that issues it- buy VND in Viet Nam, GBP in the UK, USD in the US- you get the picture.

Level Contributor
30 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purchase of Vietnam Dong

Thanks to both of you, now I know what to do for any currency :)

9. Re: Purchase of Vietnam Dong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 21:05
Houston
Level Contributor
238 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Purchase of Vietnam Dong

Does anyone know if the online exchanges are any better than doing it in the country?