We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another one bites the dust

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
1,187 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Another one bites the dust

saigoneer.com/saigon-news/2523-say-goodbye-t…

"The 1937 Guide touristique général de l’Indochine described the Grands Magasins as ‘the best stocked store in Indochina, with the widest choice, incomparable price and all of the facilities one would find in a Paris department store.’"

Still was a really handy place to shop, although not quite up to the hype of 1937. Sad to see another iconic building go.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another one bites the dust

Progress, I guess. For years I've wondered when Chợ Sài Gòn is going to disappear. It takes up valuable space at a prime location and is only one story high. Not that I want it to disappear. But disappear it will.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,564 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another one bites the dust

They've really upped the pace of civic vandalism recently. Maybe they realise their days are numbered & are cashing in on the land while they still can. Saigon Tax isn't the charming old colonial building it once was, but it fits the symmetry of that crossroads. Sticking another boring tower block there will completely destroy the aesthetics of the area.

Still can't see Ben Thanh going though Jim. That would be the demolition that would finally provoke big protests I think.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,291 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another one bites the dust

Sad but hardly surprising. Just glad I saw the centre of old Saigon before it got flattened. No doubt a new building will mean even more empty shop space. As to Ben Thanh.... I don't know, isn't that where the Metro is suppose to start? One big sink hole coming up!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another one bites the dust

Sad, but not sure many of these travel websites either.

Hit and click seems to be norm du jour.

It's all about the freaking money.

Bye guys, Hope to see you in person.

Cheers,

John

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
134 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another one bites the dust

I am not too sure if the City Council is going to tear down Ben Thanh Market or not but i strongly think that they will not. Ben Thanh Market and another buildings are too valuable in their historical values so i think they will be safe.

Perth
Level Contributor
428 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another one bites the dust

Sorry to see the building go - I use to go to a barber shop in the building regularly 40 odd years ago - noted for its hamburger and drinks (rum, beer etc) menu written on the mirrors.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,766 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another one bites the dust

we always amble in and out of the Tax every trip -. I will miss it

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another one bites the dust

I am currently in Phnom Penh getting my visa renewed but on my return will go in and photograph the inside historical parts. ie grand stair cases and balconies. Mozaic patterns on the floor and if they let me the old cafe on the roof.

If anyone wants copies PM me and I will email them to you.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
134 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another one bites the dust

TAX building has to go sure is a sadness for the city but i guess it is for better future. Hopefully, the lost of TAX building will not be gone worthlessly.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Another one bites the dust

Of course it won't be gone worthlessly. It will be replaced by another tower with empty office space and probably an expensive store at ground level. A store that will suffocate from sky high rent.