We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is 4 days 2 long in Ho Chi Minh

Laurencekirk...
Level Contributor
393 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Is 4 days 2 long in Ho Chi Minh

As first time travellers to vietnam next July we were thinking doing 4 nights in this city is this enough or too long? What is best things to see and do? We were thinking 1 day trip to mekong delta floating markets ?? We hope to do 4 days hoi an and 4 days hanoi ??

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
134 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is 4 days 2 long in Ho Chi Minh

4 days in HCM are more than enough. It only need 1 day for you to tour around the city. You could also go to Cu Chi Tunnels or Cao Dai in Tay Ninh. Try the AO Show in the Hochiminh City Theater, dinner on board while cruising along Bach Dang River. If you have children, perhaps take them to see the Water Puppet Show or take them to the City Zoo (Thao Cam Vien).

4 days in Hoi An sound good.

With 4 days in Hanoi, let me suggest you several places: Ha Long Bay, Tam Coc - Ninh Binh Province or Sapa.

Manila, Manila...
Level Contributor
25 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is 4 days 2 long in Ho Chi Minh

We've stayed here for only 3 days and we ran out of things to do halfway through our last day. Id recommend you go join the bike toursm theyre really fun and you get a more authentic HCM feel. Maybe try going to the Cu Chi tunnels, which we did and that was only good for half a day. You could do the Mekong tour. Which we skipped but I heard it was alright.

But my greatest advice is to avoid the cyclos! They would really bring you around the city but they would charge you waaaaaay more than what you agreed to before the start of the trip. You can go around the city with a taxi and get charged less than what they charge for 1 person in a cyclo.

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is 4 days 2 long in Ho Chi Minh

I love Saigon but spend at least a night in the Mekong.

Mark

Laurencekirk...
Level Contributor
393 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is 4 days 2 long in Ho Chi Minh

What is the mekong? And people have said to spend at least 1 night there? Where would we stay and what is there to see and do here? Can't we just take Saigon river express and spend full day here the back to Saigon at night?

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,063 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is 4 days 2 long in Ho Chi Minh

Google it and work it out for yourself. We are offering advice not itineraries........

Mark

Hastings, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
1,092 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is 4 days 2 long in Ho Chi Minh

Def too long. We got bored after 2 days in the city centre. Did a cooking class on day 3, then left.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is 4 days 2 long in Ho Chi Minh

Sorry to disagree, we had 5 days and never felt bored, we like to feel we've really seen a city when we visit rather than ticking a box, only our opinion of course

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
8,863 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is 4 days 2 long in Ho Chi Minh

Our 4 night itinerary is as follows (feel free to critique it)

Arrive HCMC 9.30pm with tired cranky kids. Transfer to hotel. Sleep.

Day 1

Breakfast at hotel.

Wander around local area. Swim in hotel pool. Book bus from HCMC to PP.

5.30pm: join XO foodie tour for night.

Day 2:

XO Sights tour - hotel pick up 8.30am.

Return to hotel 11.30am.

Lunch and afternoon at War Remnants museum. Wander around for dinner. Collapse in bed!

Day3:

Chi Chu Tunnels tour (not booked) (offspring keen to shoot guns - me, not so much. Is there a minimum age?)

Day 4:

Early morning bus to PP.

I think with the XO tours we will get a very good taste of Saigon. I like leaving some chance of accidental discovery.

Is there anything we have not included that is a must do (we are seeing Water Puppets in Hanoi, many boat rides in other destinations, so I think Mekong is out this time)

The first day is very open so far, apart from organising our bus trip to PP. what would everyone suggest? The kids are great with museums that engage them, and I am keen on art galleries.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 13:25
Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
134 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is 4 days 2 long in Ho Chi Minh

Mekong Provinces are very famous in Southern Vietnam. The Mekong Provinces include many provinces in the South of Vietnam such as Vinh Long, Ben Tre and Can Tho, etc... All of them still have many places untouched by human. The locals are very friendly. The watery landscape, canals, water coconut trees along the banks combine all together will give you a unique figure of the Mekong Provinces. Travel by rowing boat under the shade of water coconut trees will surely be an interesting experience to have. If you are looking for accommodation in Mekong Delta areas, i suggest you to find a homestay. A best way to join in with the local.

Houston
Level Contributor
238 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is 4 days 2 long in Ho Chi Minh

I thought 3 days was not enough and I have nothing planned.