We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your opinions on our itinerary for Vietnam first timer!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
22 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Your opinions on our itinerary for Vietnam first timer!

Would really appreciate some opinions on our itinerary below. We will be in Vietnam for 5 nights on honeymoon. We would like to sample the history, but spend some time relaxing with good food and drink too.

I have noticed that the entrance prices for some of the activities are ridiculously cheap (around 43pence for the War Remnants museum!!) Is this correct?! Which brings me to the question - how much money (approx) we will need for 5 nights? At the prices I've seen so far, I'm guessing it will be a lot less than I imagined!! We have already booked accommodation and transport from airport, so it will simply be for activities below, dining out in reasonable restaurants and a few drinks in the evening.

1.Half a day at the War Remnants museum

2. Ben Thanh market - is it better during the day or evening?

3. Saigon Zoo

4. Bitexco Financial Tower - I have read on the reviews that you are best going to the bar for a drink rather than pay the entrance fee. Considering doing this some evening at sunset.

4. Chu Chi Tunnels - really looking forward to this, anyone recommend any tours to go with or is it better to do it yourself?

5. Chill Sky Bar, AB Tower - found this place on tripadvisor and it looks fab for some night time drinks.

Open to suggestions of other ideas!

Innoviet Travel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Boat Tours, Food Tours, Day Trips
Cycloresto Cooking Class
Cooking Classes, Food Tours, City Tours
Bacchus Corner
Other Food & Drink
Saigon Motorbike Tours - private day tours
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Motorcycle Tours, Night Tours, Food Tours, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours
australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your opinions on our itinerary for Vietnam first timer!

Look at Activities tab.XO tours and Saigon Hotpot are highly recommended.we have booked ahead for December 2014.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
1,115 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your opinions on our itinerary for Vietnam first timer!

Don't miss Cholon (Chinatown), one of the most interesting parts of the town.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your opinions on our itinerary for Vietnam first timer!

Hi JLI323,

Yes that is right. Entrance fee should cost around $USD1 for the war museum. Excluding your accommodation cost which is depending on how many star hotel you want to stay, food should cost around $USD20 per day for the 2 of you.

As a rule of thumb food in VN should cost one fifth what i paid in Sydney. It can be half that price if you go into the country side in VN.

North Queensland
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Your opinions on our itinerary for Vietnam first timer!

Be wary of the zoo if you have been to zoos in the UK this will be nowhere near the standard, another place for a night time drink with a completely different vibe than the chill sky bar is the rooftop bar at the Rex really quite 'retro' I know a lot of people don't like it, but personally I did

Australia
Level Contributor
1,550 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your opinions on our itinerary for Vietnam first timer!

I would think $40 a day for food with a few drinks for the two of you. Some Restaurants will be more than that. Certainly you can eat for a fraction of that, but you probably want the Honeymoon minus the risk of food poisoning!

Ask your Hotel to book a Cu Chi Tour for you.

I'm with the people who say the Rex rooftop bar is worth doing.

If you are going to do the XO tour, do it early in the trip rather than later - it will help to orientate you.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Your opinions on our itinerary for Vietnam first timer!

Saigon River Express get pretty good reviews for Cui Chi. Also beware the drinks at places like Rex and Chill Sky Bar are much pricier than anywhere else in Vietnam.

australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your opinions on our itinerary for Vietnam first timer!

Can also recommend XO food tour and when booking a tour for the tunnels the smaller the group the better.

Bolton, Canada
Level Contributor
314 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your opinions on our itinerary for Vietnam first timer!

yeah war remnants is good

as to ben than market it changes at night - a much different experience

the zoo can be a little depressing but why not

id do the cu chi on a tour youll get a little more out of it

depending on time factor id do the Mekong tour - the 3 day is better then the 1 day - but the 1 day is good

Also it really depends on where you eat - you can go from 5$ per - to bloody expensive - this is Vietnam - they do food right

it really depends on how much you drink

9. Re: Your opinions on our itinerary for Vietnam first timer!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 September 2014, 08:35
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
5,160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Your opinions on our itinerary for Vietnam first timer!

If you are there for 5 days ,you could slip across to Vung Tau for a night. It is where the Saigonese go for the weekend .I has 4-5 beaches , 2 mountains(small) with a cable car and lots of restaurants, discos ,bars and cafes.

In good weather,the back beach becomes a giant eatery with stall owners setting up BBQs with fresh seafood that you choose to have cooked

Probably cheaper than HCMC. You can nice rooms there for 300000 dong.The beach hotels are more expensive.

Having the ocean on both sides cools the place down and it is always 2-3 degrees cooler than HCMC.

Its 115 klms from the HCMC airport and takes about 2 hours depending on traffic.