We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do ay HCMC?

Which Ho Chi Minh City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
What to do ay HCMC?

Hi everyone, besides Cuchi tunnel which is a must go attraction, what are other things to do there..? i've got 4 days in HCMC.. :)

oldcity
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do ay HCMC?

besides Cuchi tunnel, you can't visit Me Kong Delta river, Cao Dai temple. I think that enough for 4 days. have good trip.

noosa australia
Level Contributor
769 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do ay HCMC?

Its going to depend on how much time you spend in mekong- one day ? two days?

I really enjoyed seeing the cao dai temple and cu chi tunnels which you can do in one day tour ( cost cheap $6 us average)

we spent one day walking/ cycloing around the HCM city - visited reunification palace, war museum, various pagodas/ temples, PO, notre dam cathederal , jade pagoda and came across a hindu temple as well . Theres also ben thanh markets as well ( be prepared to bargain hard - they are good!). Cholon area also interesting - I paid a cyclo for 1.5 hours to save my feet.

The benefits of walking around is that you can stop when you want and look at what youve come across.

I liked walking around D Dong Khoi street as well- there seemed to be quite a few art shops and interesting places to look at as well.

Make sure you go to Quan An Ngon rest neat Unification Palace ( 138D Nam Ky Khoi Nghia) - we had best meal of trip there.

MaineUSA
Level Contributor
830 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do ay HCMC?

I recently spent three days in Saigon with my wife in early November. This was the last stop on a 2 1/2 week trip that took us to Bangkok, Nepal, Tibet, Nepal, Bangkok and Saigon. I was stationed there from June 1969 to June 1970. We arrived at the Sofitel Plaza around noon on a Friday. The hotel was fine and had an excellent breakfast buffet. We walked to the downtown area and had lunch on the roof of the Rex which was one of our installations during the war. We spend the rest of the afternoon walking around the downtown area and had dinner on the rooftop of the Majestic Hotel overlooking the river. A nice experience. We spent Saturday going to Can Tho for the river trip, which is a pretty standard thing. We enjoyed it. Obviously, it was a place to be avoided in 1969. We had dinner at the indoor restraunt one floor below the rooftop at the Majestic. Again very good. We spent Sunday on a city tour, including the cathereral, palace, war museum, the market and Cholon. We had no success trying to find my old office and BOQ. It was quite emotional to see a packed cathederal with people being allowed to worship freely again. As one could understand, I was less than thrilled with the war museum, but it probably should be included in a visit. We had lunch at a place called the Green Chili. We flew back to Bangkok around 9 that Sunday evening. A lot of people do take the Cu Chi tunnel and temple tour but we didn't have the time and I probably would have passed on it if we did. I was really glad I went back. The people were very friendly. The economy is growing. They are now the world's second largest rice exporter. The most interesting thing is that most transactions in hotels, markets, restraunts etc. are in US Dollars which are preferred over the Vietnam dong which is at 116,000 to the dollar. We had a wonderful guide and a great experience. I wish I had more time, but I'm still in the process of making a living!

Vietnam
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do ay HCMC?

hi oneheart, you can search "Can Gio" for consideration. My foreign friends just visited this place last Friday and were strongly impressed. Attached article is for your reference only, there are many ways to get there.

Can Gio - a biosphere reserve of the world

Location: The ecological forest of Can Gio is situated 50km away from downtown Ho Chi Minh City. Characteristic: With an area of over 70,000 ha, of which 35,000 ha is salt-watered forest, Can Gio has been recognized as a biosphere reserve of the world by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).

Can Gio has been recognized as a biosphere reserve after evaluation of various aspects, including the people, ecology, environment and biosphere sustainability. Those who visited this place decade ago can hardly recognize it today, due to the countless towering trees and plants that stretch out of sight, and the harmonious biosphere of the coastal mangrove forest. So far nearly 40,000 ha of forest and land have been restored. According to the Can Gio Forest Managing Board, at present more than 600 households with 1,500 people reside in this area. They live on reforestation, forest protection and aquatic production. In the early 1970's, the concept of "Biosphere reserve" was announced with the aim of protecting the species in danger of extinction. The biosphere reserves must preserve the samples of the ecological systems in the world, and work as a laboratory where research and observation of these ecological systems are undertaken. The reserve seeks measures to help the local people benefit from nature.

Before the construction of a 20 km-long road linking Binh Khanh wharf to Can Thanh, which runs along Can Gio to beach April 30, Can Gio was a remote area whose residents lived on catching crabs and mussels. Now it is an interesting eco-tourist site attracting many people from Ho Chi Minh City and other places. The Saigon Tourism Company and Phu Tho Tourism Company have established eco-tours to this area. Visiting Can Gio, you will see crocodiles lying in the swamp and hundreds of monkeys that come from mangrove clumps to the walk-ways of Lam Vien ecological site, to welcome the visitors. They catch sugarcane the visitors give them, and eat them with delight. On holidays, there were averages of 2,000 visitors a day to Can Gio. At peak times there were over 6,000 visitors a day. Visitors could stay at the residential quarter April 30, adjacent to the beach or at Actmang quarter in the 2,100ha Lam Vien area with countless mangrove trees. Quite a few people like to hire hammocks and umbrellas to rest under the canopy of the trees.

In the near future the war zone in the shrub forest, which was home to 800 commando soldiers in wartime, would be restored. It will become a 3,000m² preservation sites with 14 houses-on-stilts, roofed with date palm trunks and water-coconut leaves. When this project is completed, Can Gio will have another traditional tourist site, attracting not only young people, but also those who want to know more about the struggle of the fighters in the shrub forest in the past.

Taking a boat ride on the big Dong Nai and Long Tau Rivers or on the smaller Vam Sac, Dong Thanh and Soai Rap Rivers, which run through Can Gio, visitors will not think that they are visiting a district on the outskirts of Ho Chi Minh City. They seem to be in the watery areas of Ca Mau and Kien Giang, the southernmost area in Vietnam with vast mangrove and cajeput forests. The roots of the mangrove trees on the sides of the river twist with one another then spread out and root deep into the earth. It is these roots that make Can Gio a protective forest safeguarding millions of city dwellers, and an ideal ecological tourist site as well.

Singapore
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do ay HCMC?

Hi noosa blue,

you were saying that you can get a one day tour ( cost cheap $6 us average). Where do u get this tour? i'm pretty confused.. i checked out sinh cafe and the tour is like 54 USD per pax for 2 person but Delta adventure tour is like 6 USD per pax. Dunno what is the difference.. Is it that the latter is without a guide?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do ay HCMC?

Try guzzling 4L of bia hoi in one hour!!! Trust me, it's worth it.

HCMC
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do ay HCMC?

Hi Oneheart,

Cu Chi Tunnels is a must to see in HCMC. You can combine Cu Chi Tunnels with City Tour ( half day ) or Cu Chi Tunnels with Cao Dai Temple & Kim Phuc's viallge.

Besides Cu Chi Tunnels, you can visit Mekong Delta one day to see Cai Be Floating Market ( 100 kms from HCM city ) or My Tho islands ( 70 kms from HCM city ) , Mekong Delta 2 days to see Can Tho Floating markets ( 175 kms from HCM city ) , Mekong 3 days to see Chau Doc & Cambodia border ( 245 kms from HCM city )

You can take hydroifoil ( express boat ) VINA EXPRESS to visit Vung Tau ( 1:15 minutes ) or take 2 day trip to Mui Ne beach ( Hawaii of Vietnam ) 200 kms from HCM city

Or you can spend the whole day at the Binh Quoi Village to relax

Jason's S3

8. Re: What to do ay HCMC?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 09:17