We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hue or Danang

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Hue or Danang

Can you help me out my husband and l will be spending 3 nights in Phu Quoc then flying into Hue or Danang this is the problem as l dont know which place to fly into.

We have 5 nights that we would like to explore all areas around Hoi An to Hue then catch a train to Hanoi then onto Halong Bay for a cruise. What would you suggest for the 5 nights to see things and where to stay my husband likes to be around the locals more then tourists. We love the beaches also.

Also any ideas on a good boat to cruise Halong Bay, and would it pay to book it ahead.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Quang Nam Province, Vietnam
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Hue Tours
Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Eco Tours
Xe Om Tours
City Tours, Bike Tours, Motorcycle Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Tour From Hue - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Viet Orchid Travel Co. Ltd.
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
California
Level Contributor
707 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hue or Danang

You might consider flying to Danang and getting transportation, like a taxi, to Hoi an and spending your time there rather than Da Nang. After about six hours you have seen just about everything there is to see in Da Nang, while Hoi an has lots more to see and do. Then arrange ground transportation to Hue over the Hai van Pass to Hue. Hoi an and Hue are both wonderful places to visit, unlike Da Nang which is a city of 1,000,000 but not geared to tourists. I am not a great fan of the either the train system or the buses (especially the overnight buses) to anywhere other than short movements. Hope this is useful.

pgh, pa
Destination Expert
for Da Nang, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hue or Danang

I'd say to fly into Da Nang, taxi to Hoi An and spend 2 days then by bus or car to Hue city for 3 days, much more to see in Hue then on by train to Ha Noi.

Drifter

www.vnfrom.blogspot.com

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hue or Danang

Or you could fly into Hue, explore Hue for a couple of days, take private car to Hoi An via the Hai Van Pass (as opposed to the tunnel which is very boring), then go from Hoi An to Da Nang to get on the train.

On the train take food and drinks as very little is available on the train, and don't expect it to be all shiny and comfortable. Also take loo paper or equivalent, and soap, as both run out in the toilets very early in the piece.

Edited: 17 January 2010, 05:17
Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hue or Danang

hi,

you wil be arrive in Da Nang by flight, so just stay in Da Nang gor 1 night, then catch local bus to Hoi An and stay here for 2 nights.Afterthat, catch the tourist bus to Hue with 50,000 VND( 2 depature/day: 8am and 2pm everyday), another idea that u can rent private car to Hue city with US$55=1,000,000 via Hai Van pass!

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14,644 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hue or Danang

As a general rule, flights into Hue cost more than flights into Danang. Vietnam Air operates some wide bodied planes into Danang - the A332 as well as the smaller A320. Only smaller planes use the Hue airport. The city of Danang is not a tourist town - there is China Beach close by. Most tourists prefer Hoi An just down the coast - 45 min south of the airport. Hue is great for history buffs and those interested in Hue's universities and cuisine - I much prefer Hoi An's resort feel and the beach there is very nice/tropical.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
437 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hue or Danang

We would suggest three days in Hoi An, would be ideal for your husband with the locals and nearby beach. On day four get a car and driver to go to Hue, arriving early afternoon. Day five do the tour of the Emperor's Tombs and Citadel and the following day fly or train to Hanoi.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
Hanoi
Hanoi
Vietnam
Richmond, London UK
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hue or Danang

Personally I didn't like Hue very much. It is very much a city to visit if you enjoy history and seeing the old citadel and the tombs. I don't mind seeing temples etc but it was very tiring and took a long time to see everything. Perhaps if I had the interest it would have been different.

We passed Danang by car going from Hue to Hoi An and had a gorgeous lunch of Mi Quang there-really tasty and well worth trying. The Hoi An version is not the same. China beach is nice and I would split my time between there and Hoi An, although more time in Hoi An is better.

In Hoi An I recommend the Morning Glory restaurant, wonderful food and a great private cooking class. Red Bridge is great for a group cooking class that is more fun. Hopefully the weather will be good for you to enjoy the beach also.

Mentioned in this post
Hoi An
Hoi An
8. Re: Hue or Danang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 January 2010, 10:05
9. Re: Hue or Danang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2010, 08:15