We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Closure- Any update ?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
189 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Closure- Any update ?

Have read on this forum that Hue airport is to close sometime in 2013 for resealing. VN airlines (Australia) can give me no details about this... does anyone know of the actual closing dates and if this will go ahead

Thanks

australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Closure- Any update ?

I am waiting for confirmation also.

We are flying Hue to Hanoi on 6th April and will have to change some things around if the airport is closed.

I emailed our VN travel agent this morning to enquire but have not heard back yet. Googling doesn't appear to reveal any confirmed dates, just the same original reports repeated.

Anyone else heard anything?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
848 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Closure- Any update ?

It's likely that Hue provincial government does not agree to close the airport so there's no news about it now. However the closure notice could be issued at anytime.

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Closure- Any update ?

I have googled this for infomation and there are some credible reports indicating the airport could be closed for up to 8 months from March 2013. It was closed in May 2011, when I travelled there, to repair the ends of the runway for safety reasons. Apparently this closure is to repair other areas in between. Whilst there are major concerns in respect of losing tourist dollars because of the closure I expect that an airliner crashing because of the known poor state of repair of the runway would also cause some concern. Whilst this does cause a slight problem for those wanting to travel to Hue it gives you the opportunity to go one way, from Da Nang airport, over the beautiful Hai Van Pass and return by train along a very scenic part of the China Sea, or vice versa.

Greg

Edited: 29 December 2012, 23:39
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
873 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Closure- Any update ?

You must call it the East Sea Greg : )

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Closure- Any update ?

Anne, my maps acutally show it as the South China Sea, is the term East Sea similar to the Vietnam War and the American War, as relationships between China and VN are not the greatest?

Greg

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
873 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Closure- Any update ?

There is an ongoing kerfuffle over this. China think they have sovereignty over the whole thing!? much to the chagrin of Vietnam and other neighbouring countries. It has escalated this year with increased Chinese naval presence off the coast of Vietnam with them allegedly severing the cables of Vietnamese boats involved in exploration. There are a number of islands whose ownership is in dispute and the US are starting to get involved.

I was told by a skipper in Hoi An to call it the East Sea!

Forster, Australia
Level Contributor
1,268 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Closure- Any update ?

I had heard that a number of islands, to the north in 'this piece of ocean', are shown on recently printed maps as being under the sovereignty of China whereas older maps show them as part of VN. I was also told that on the northern borders that the declared border markers were being moved backwards and forwards during the night! Hopefully this does not lead to further neighbour disputes which draw in larger nations.

Greg

8. Re: Airport Closure- Any update ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2014, 10:17