We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get to Hue and Hoi An from Hanoi

Which Hue hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
australia
Level Contributor
550 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get to Hue and Hoi An from Hanoi

Have only 2 weeks in Vietnam and planning on flying into Hanoi from Kl then want to get to Hue, Hoi An and last Saigon for a couple of days. Any suggestions - fly from Hanoi to Danang then taxi to Hue and taxi to Hoi An then fly from Danang to Saigon seems like a lot of back tracking to me. Am I just getting mixed up here? Would like to spend the most of my time in Hoi An but also a few days in each of the other places. I am flying out of Saigon to Kl and then onto Bali for a week on the way back to Australia.

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get to Hue and Hoi An from Hanoi

The recent backtracking from Danang to Hue has been due to Hue airport being closed for a while. It's scheduled to reopen in September, so if you're travelling after then you can fly from Hanoi to Hue and go from there by road or rail to Danang and on to Hoi An.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get to Hue and Hoi An from Hanoi

If the airport is open fly from Hanoi to Hue, then get a car with driver to Hoi an. We got an evening flight to Hue after our Halong Bay tour dropped us off in Hanoi so that we gained a day, the flight was at 7.20pm.

australia
Level Contributor
550 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get to Hue and Hoi An from Hanoi

thanks for the replies. So I will fly from Hanoi to Hue (if airport open) then after a couple of days in Hue get a driver and car to Hoi An. To fly to Saigon I will then have to get a driver back to DaNang is that correct?

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
33 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get to Hue and Hoi An from Hanoi

Hi!

Hue airport will reopen in 21/11November (100%). vietnamairlines.com/wps/…hue-dung-bay-en. So you can go to hue by train if you enough time (12hour), Visit Hue, take bus (12$) or private (75$) to Hoian. Visit Hoian some day then take flight to Saigon.

Goodluck! :-)

Llanbrynmair...
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get to Hue and Hoi An from Hanoi

Thao L your information is out of date:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293921-i8432-k6…

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get to Hue and Hoi An from Hanoi

We recently did the Hanoi - Hue - Hoi An trip and it went like this. Flew Hanoi - Danang and got bus from airport to Hue town. Buy tickets at little stall just to left after exiting airport building but still in airport area tiles etc. We had to wait about 1/2 an hour until next bus but there is cafe and toilets if you need them. It was very comfortable and I think it cost about $AUD20 for the 4 of us. Took nearly 3 hours. Nice trip - sea one side and mountains the other. A few days later we got a driver from hotel in Hue to take us to Hoi An via the pass for about $AUD80. Trip was about 4 hours and the views were spectacular.

australia
Level Contributor
550 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get to Hue and Hoi An from Hanoi

thanks for all the info AdamsTheGap. Now deciding whether to skip Hue entirely as I only have two weeks. My daughter suggested I visit Nha Trang instead or Sapa but I think it will be too cold up there.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get to Hue and Hoi An from Hanoi

balihopeful, you don’t say when you’re visiting Vietnam so I can’t comment on Sapa and you haven’t said what your interests are - Nha Trang, Hue and Sapa are all quite different. If you’re going to Hoi An then I would recommend a visit to Hue. A Unesco site, the atmospheric Citadel is truly fascinating and whether you’re interested in history or not it’s definitely worth a visit, as is the Royal Tombs. You can get a motorbike driver to take you around for the day, stay the night in Hue and then take the train back down to Danang the next morning (it leaves around 8am). Or you can take the train from Danang up to Hue and get a private car back down to Hoi An the next morning.

I haven’t been to Danang so I can’t comment, but we had two nights in Hue and I could have easily stayed longer, ultimately it comes down to what you’re interested in. Sapa is also worth a visit to see the ethnic minority groups.

Good luck with your planning,

Victoria

9. Re: Best way to get to Hue and Hoi An from Hanoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 August 2013, 09:05
leicester
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get to Hue and Hoi An from Hanoi

Of all the places we've visited, Hue was probably our least favourite. Maybe we were just travel tired by then but we didn't get the same buzz there. It was however where one of our most memorable days started as we got moped taxis to take us from there down to Hoi An. A fabulous way to travel and great fun. Especially over the Hai Van Pass. We had rucksacks not cases though.