We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mekong Delta with 8 and 10 year old

Renishaw, United...
3 posts
Mekong Delta with 8 and 10 year old

Hi there, we are arranging a 2 week itinerary in south Vietnam late Dec, early Jan. I’m trying to work out whether a couple of days in Mekong Delta would be good with the children or not. Am concerned about Dengue fever (but I know that that is a question for a medical profession or NHS / WHO guidelines and not on here). Has anyone been there with children and would you recommend it? I thought the boat tours looked really interesting. Any tips would be greatly recieved!

7 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
482 posts
20 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: Mekong Delta with 8 and 10 year old

Plenty of kids there including our own (5 yo and 3.5 yo). They had a blast riding the canoe, fishing boat, horse wagon, checking out local markets etc

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
2,801 posts
1 review
2. Re: Mekong Delta with 8 and 10 year old

Agree with post #1 - No problem to your children!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vietnam
Level Contributor
11,125 posts
3. Re: Mekong Delta with 8 and 10 year old

Have happily taken our kids to the Mekong.

But then again, I don't like my kids that much. ;-)

Scott

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
95 posts
6 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Mekong Delta with 8 and 10 year old

hi, no isssue ! let go mekong delta and stay at local house. People there is very friendly and welcome.

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,650 posts
51 reviews
41 helpful votes
5. Re: Mekong Delta with 8 and 10 year old

Mekong Delta is a very interesting place for all ages, especially family with kids. It is not only about the river cruises and tropical orchards, but also lots of activities during the tours that involves interactions with the locals. This will provide you a great authentic experience to see and learn how Mekong Delta people live, how kids go to school, and what special traditions etc. Those activities will open your children's eyes and they will be more aware and appreciate the good life that they have back home.

Cheers,

Nhung from Mango Cruises

Tully, Australia
5 posts
1 review
6. Re: Mekong Delta with 8 and 10 year old

Could you recommend a group to book with please?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
9,047 posts
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
7. Re: Mekong Delta with 8 and 10 year old

Kate December and January are outside of the rainy season so the risk is significant lower, especially since you're not traveling the remote areas.

My suggestion is a homestay so you can get a better feel for the normal daily life and the local culture.

Many of these homestays have programs (or work with other providers) to make your stay more enjoyable.

Use Google search for "Mekong Delta Homestay TripAdvisor" and you will get plenty of hits.

Cheers,

John

Reply to: Mekong Delta with 8 and 10 year old
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted