We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saigon River Express to Delta

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Saigon River Express to Delta

The Saigon River Express offers a tour of the Mekong Delta from their pier in HCMC, does that mean they go down the river into the sea and back up into the delta? It is quite an expensive tour compared to some. Has anyone here done it and is it worth $92 +15%taxes pp ? I am comparing it to Sinh Tourist tour to Cai Be, Vinh Long for $16 or the Best Cruises tour to same places for $78. Both involve long bus trips. Thank you, Dawn

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
318 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saigon River Express to Delta

hi dawn,

we haven't done it yet but had similar concerns prior to booking in regard to the price. check the reviews and most seemed to think it was worth it but that is a personal thing. but in the end have booked it and also the cu-chi tour with them.whether it turns out to be worth it remains to be seen.

we really liked the idea of going by boat and totally everything is included.

we are doing towards end of march, will let you know how we went if not too late by then. just send me a pm to remind me if you want.

enjoy planning,

cheers alpha

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Saigon River Express to Delta

I see it is very expensive to do that tour, the services are so so, the guide is not too good.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Saigon River Express to Delta

I see it is very expensive to do that tour, the services are so so, the guide is not too good.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saigon River Express to Delta

We did the tour you are thinking of and felt it was worth it, one of the best things we did in HCM. Our guide was great (I wish I could remember her name) but the others on the boat (captain, engineer etc.) spoke very little English. Our tour took off to the right when leaving the port and you initially go through all the river villages, after a little while in you stop at a beautiful buddhist temple for a quick stop, then soon after another stop at a local market place, our guide told us about the different rices, eggs, etc. but we didn't purchase anything (I'm sure you could if you wanted to). Then we spent some time driving slowly through the skinny river mouth and looked at the farms along the sides and you see the local people in the water with fishing nets. Its quite relaxing and picturesque. Our next stop was a local house where we were given a tour and then stop at the farmers "bar" fora shot of their rice spirit stuff (strong stuff!), we made funny necklaces out of the leaves from trees and then walked down to another house to be shown some relics from the war. Here we stopped for a coconut to drink and then eat. We wandered around looking at a few peoples crops and farm areas before back on the boat. The boat then took us to a local orphanage (didnt realise at the time) where we had lunch, it was a great lunch with lots of choices (I am vegetarian). We then walked down to another pagoda from lunch which was a different type to that previously seen. Then hopped back on the boat and headed back to port from memory.

We also had complimentary drinks and fruit on the boat.

I can't compare to any of the other tours as I have not done them, generally I have heard that anything by bus or land is pretty time consuming and you don't get to see as much? Can anyone else confirm or deny?

In terms of the $16 one that just sounds too good to be true IMO.... and the other one for the sake of 20-30$ each is it worth to you spending so much time on a bus?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saigon River Express to Delta

Hi Alpha. So how did the Saigon River Express to Delta go? Do you think it really gets to the Mekong Delta or is the mouth of the Saigon River considered to be part of this delta? Did you enjoy it? Leaving in 10 days and this is the only thing I haven't prebooked. Thanks, Dawn

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saigon River Express to Delta

Hi Darcy

Thanks for the details about your experience. Very helpful. Dawn.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,374 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saigon River Express to Delta

Jennifer R ........ more details please. Your post is a little on the thin side as to the nitty gritty.

Dawn M while you could indeed go via the sea front there are several small rivers that criss cross the delta region such that you don't have to go down to the sea to get around..A quick look at Google Earth might help. :-)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saigon River Express to Delta

Thanks 69bertie. I had only used satelite view on google maps and now realise that what I thought were roads are actually canals. I always knew about Earth but somehow never actually used it. What a great tool I'm now sharing it with my little grandchildren.

9. Re: Saigon River Express to Delta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2014, 07:18
Get answers to your questions about Mekong Delta