We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confusion over the Mekong Delta tours

Portsmouth, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Confusion over the Mekong Delta tours

Hi there

Just wondering if anyone can help with any advice. My husband and I would like to do a Mekong Delta tour on 29th - 30th December. We have limited time and can only do a two day 1 night tour. We would need to be picked up from Ho Chi Minh.

The problem is there seems to be so many options and we are not really sure whether to wait and see what we can book when we get there or whether we need to book now. We are interested in either taking a boat tour or doing a cycle tour. We have looked at vietnam backroads for cycling and also at the Mekong Lodge? Any one got any experience with these companies? We really want to see the floating markets and looks like you have to go to Can Tho or Cai Be to do this?

There just seems to be too much choice and I am worried about booking a tour which makes you go to factories or particular shops as we have experienced tours like that in the past - we know that is definitely not what we want!

Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Robyn

Mekong Eyes Cruise
Sightseeing Tours, Factory Tours, Boat Tours, Cultural Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confusion over the Mekong Delta tours

I have no experience with the two companies you have suggested. But, I have been on two Mekong tours, one a tour I picked in Pham Ngu Lao area that was very cheap, took us to all of the usual tourist sites. It was very interesting as we had never been before, but bus and accommodation was rough.

Next time I organised a private tour through a tourist office in PNL area. There were five of us, and our guide sang love songs, it was fun and we went to some different places, but still on the tourist trail. I didn't exactly love the huge bunch of red roses he had delivered to my door before 6 am!

No factories in either tour, rice paper, fruit trees, candy making, lots of boat rides and floating markets.

For the next trip I have pre-booked with Jason Super Star. His tour for 2 days finishing in Can Tho airport for us, looks really interesting and involves time with his family.

He comes highly recommended on TA, is professional and a delight to work with by email, and is not too expensive.

I don't think you will pick up a really good tour if you wait until you get there.

But, as I said, our first tour was really interesting.

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will love the Mekong Delta.

DG

Saigon
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confusion over the Mekong Delta tours

should overnight in Cantho to head up visiting the biggest floating market Cairang & Phong Dien. cai be floating market is not busy even in the early morning

Cheers

Sydney
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confusion over the Mekong Delta tours

Yep, DG nailed it. You can do a personal tour as mentioned with Jason Superstar or similar. I did this tour with Jason in May with 4 friends and it was an absolute hoot. Or, try the 2 day 1 night cruises such as the Mekong Eyes cruise. It was a little bit of luxury and a lot of fun. Either way, you will be transported back to HCMC by lunch time the next day.

Good luck,

Mark

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
44 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confusion over the Mekong Delta tours

DG - have you been on your tour with Jason superstar yet? Am interested in how it compared to your other trips. What was the boat ride bit like - what boats were you on. I have been looking at Mekong eyes - does anyone have any experience with them?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Confusion over the Mekong Delta tours

Hi - also curious about how your tour went!

6. Re: Confusion over the Mekong Delta tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2015, 05:16