We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Group Tours to Mekong Delta w/o Tunnels + More Q

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Group Tours to Mekong Delta w/o Tunnels + More Q

Dear Vietnam Experts,

I'll be in HCMC for two nights, three days, travelling alone, on my first visit to Vietnam.

I'm interested in seeing a bit of Vietnam outside of HCMC, and the Mekong Delta seems to be a popular destination, set up for tourists to visit. Not overly interested in the Cu Chi tunnels.

1. Since this is my first visit to Vietnam, are there places closer to HCMC that could give me a flavor of rural life, without going to the Mekong Delta? Perhaps on such a short visit the MD should be left off the list, but I think I may run out of things I'd like to see in HCMC fairly quickly as I don't care for museums or shopping. Thoughts?

2. If I do a day trip away from HCMC, I'd prefer it to be a very long day, to fit in as much sightseeing as possible. Does anyone know of a group tour that crams a whole lot into one day? I'm not really interested in the tunnels, but if they're part of an action-packed tour, I wouldn't not go.

3. Generally I prefer long bus rides over river travel as I think bus rides usually reward one with much human visual interest. River trips I've taken in the past are usually feature unchanging river banks. Which mode of travel to MD gives more contact with Vietnamese; tour bus or tour boat?

4. I'm willing to pay more for a smaller tour group, but would not want to spend a premium to have my own tour guide and would rather have the company of other tourists. It seems as though the tours are either large bus loads for $20 (USD) or I could have a one-on-one tour for $100++. Is there something in between?

Thanks for all the guidance!

Bao Duyen Tourist
Marinas, Sightseeing Tours, Gondola Cruises
Mekong Eyes Cruise
Sightseeing Tours, Factory Tours, Boat Tours, Cultural Tours
UK
Level Contributor
2,625 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Group Tours to Mekong Delta w/o Tunnels + More Q

I'd say your trying to do the Mekong Delta wrong. It's not something to rush and the beauty of the place is in the countryside and the people and life on and around the water.

With your time scale, it's really a choice between seeing Saigon and a rushed trip to be able to say you've been to the delta, or, spend almost all your time down in the delta and miss Saigon. Depends on what you like busy city/tranquil countryside.....

Ben Tre, Vietnam
Level Contributor
1,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Group Tours to Mekong Delta w/o Tunnels + More Q

I agreed with the above comment. Mekong Delta is a big area and its definite worthed to spend a few nights to explore. If you are really tight on time then spend the full day for it , You don\t really have the choice for the small group tour.Either private tour or you will be joining in the big bus 45 seaters in the back packers area. There are a few options that you can see but I would recommend Ben Tre or Cai Lay day trip, avoid Cai Be or My Tho those are very touristy .

Cheers

Nhung

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,119 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Group Tours to Mekong Delta w/o Tunnels + More Q

Thanks for input, and am now thinking of 2d/1n in Mekong, on tour, but the highly regarded tours (Ann Tours, Come and Go) often mention minimum of two people. I am only one person, does that mean I'm left to go on a large group tour?

I would not want to be the only person with the guide, nor could I afford that. Any suggestions?

4. Re: Group Tours to Mekong Delta w/o Tunnels + More Q

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 05:20