We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

in need of vicks vapor rub

Which Nha Trang hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Picton, NSW
Level Contributor
93 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
in need of vicks vapor rub

Can you get vicks in Vietnam? Tried 3 pharmacy in Hoi An but no luck. I'm now in Nha Trang for the next 2 days before moving onto Ho Chi Minh.

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: in need of vicks vapor rub

Surely there is a local version of Vicks. We got a jar of gel in Thailand that would clear a blocked drain at 50 paces. Cost the equivalent of 50 cents.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: in need of vicks vapor rub

Here they often use something called

dầu Khuynh Diệp OPC (eucalyptus oil) or

thuốc thoa

I'm not sure about the gel, as one masseuse I know always asks me to get some from Europe.

There's also some very potent stuff called dầu phật linh trường sơn. It has camphor and Japanese peppermint.

You can get all of this in almost any drugstore (nhà thuoc), as the Vietnamese are forever going to doctors and buying drugs.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 02:11
Picton, NSW
Level Contributor
93 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: in need of vicks vapor rub

Cheers Jim, we'll give it a go.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: in need of vicks vapor rub

Tiger Balm is the go! I'm surprised you haven't heard of it as it's been common in Oz for decades. And when we were in Viet Nam every second street seller seemed to be offering it.

DH got a really bad cold when we were in Ha Long Bay. Smeared his chest with Tiger Balm before bedtime, woke up clear as a bell next morning :-)

White Flower oil is also good.

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
7,714 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: in need of vicks vapor rub

YorkFoodie, there's tiger balm and there's tiger balm. The brand I have used (sparingly) I'm certain I'd not rub on my (or anyone's) chest. It burns like fire. Used for sports injuries....

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: in need of vicks vapor rub

I'm not talking slather it on, Jim. It does have a bit of a burn but I guess I must be tougher than you :-)

Ho Chi Minh City...
Destination Expert
for Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
9,604 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: in need of vicks vapor rub

Vicks Vapour Rub

Active ingredients.

Camphor 4.8% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic)

Eucalyptol 1.2% (Cough suppressant)

Menthol 2.6% (Cough suppressant and topical analgesic)

Inactive Ingredients

Cedarleaf oil

Nutmeg oil

special Petrolatum

Thymol

Turpentine oil

You should be able to find most but maybe not all of those ingredients in lotions or gels in Vietnam.

Picton, NSW
Level Contributor
93 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: in need of vicks vapor rub

Thanks again, I use tiger balm for head aches but I don't fancy sticking that in boiling water and inhaling. Might try a bit on the chest, actually didn't think of that. Cheers

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
20,501 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: in need of vicks vapor rub

Try just rubbing it on your pajama top/t shirt if you're worried about your chest.

Edited: 15 April 2014, 12:04
10. Re: in need of vicks vapor rub

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 06:15