We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kolkata-Dhaka Connectivity

Which Dhaka City hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Kolkata-Dhaka Connectivity

I will be coming to Dhaka for the T20 world cup in March. I will be traveling into Bangladesh from Kolkata. Would you recommend what is the best way to get there? If bus is the only option, what companies are reliable? How about the State run Bangladesh Road Transport corporation?

Here is my schedule:

Kolkata to Dhaka on Thursday(march20)

Dhaka to Kolkata on Monday(march31)

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kolkata-Dhaka Connectivity

Hi,

The bus is the cheapest option and also takes the most time. It takes over 12 hours and involves a dreary border crossing. I've never taken it.

The easiest way to come is to fly. Both Jet and Biman Bangladesh Airlines have daily flights to Dhaka.

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kolkata-Dhaka Connectivity

Train tickets are cheap too. Shovon Chair is less then 1,000 BDT.

Oregon
Level Contributor
309 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kolkata-Dhaka Connectivity

Flights around $86 US. 90 minutes vs 12 hours on bus or train. Guess it depends on whether your time or money are more valuable.

Male
Level Contributor
115 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kolkata-Dhaka Connectivity

State run BRTC bus you mentioned is OK. It is better than other buses, which require you to change bus at the border. What's more some priority is given to BTRC bus at the immigration of both sides. The journey is long - 12 hours or longer. When I used it a few years ago, it took 14 hours heading from Kolkata to Dhaka!

Buses are reliable if there is no hartal/bandh.

Train does not run daily - I think it is twice a week. it takes as long as the bus, but obviously more relaxing.

Apart from Jet, Biman, United Airways also fly Kolkata-Dhaka, Kolkata-Chittagong.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
238 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kolkata-Dhaka Connectivity

Hello,

The flight is the best option. It is about a 45 minute flight from Kolkata to Dhaka. Book with Air India or Jet airways, shouldn't be costing you more than 8000 INR round trip.

Regards,

Piyush

Edited: 05 March 2014, 09:16
Atlanta, Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kolkata-Dhaka Connectivity

There are several ways to travel from Kolkata to Dhaka. You can use bus, train or air. If you want to know my opinion than i think train is safe and the cheap way for traveling from Kolkata to Dhaka.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
36 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kolkata-Dhaka Connectivity

Thanks for all your suggestions!!

UK
Level Contributor
869 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kolkata-Dhaka Connectivity

Hope you enjoy the games and your stay

Kolkata (Calcutta...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Kolkata-Dhaka Connectivity

We want to visit Bangladesh by train/bus from kolkata during durgapuja 2014.Pl. advise and budget please.

10. Re: Kolkata-Dhaka Connectivity

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 May 2014, 15:35
Get answers to your questions about Dhaka City