We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 hour stopover in Brunei - what to do?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
7 hour stopover in Brunei - what to do?

Hi

we are flying from london to Kota Kinabalu next June and have an 8 hour stop at Brunei.

I'm after suggestions as to what we can see in this time within taxi distance from the airport?

Perhaps a nice place for a meal? I belive thers a themepark - is this close to the airport?

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks, Sam

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 hour stopover in Brunei - what to do?

Hi Sam,

I've not heard of a theme park in Brunei, but you can take an expensive taxi the 4 miles to downtown and have a wander around. The center is small and easily walkable. There are many local restaurants, some shopping centers, the river to view and water villages that you can walk to as well. You can also take a bus back to the airport, depending upon time of day for your flight, which will be much, much cheaper than the taxis.

Chuck

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 hour stopover in Brunei - what to do?

Hi Chuck

Thanks for the response. If its only 4 miles to the town centre we could probably walk? Especially as we have hours to spare.

Im sure it will be interesting to have a look around anyway, anything is better then sitting in the airport!

Sam

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 hour stopover in Brunei - what to do?

It's not a very good road for walking into town as I remember, but depending upon time of day again you might get the bus from the airport. The buses stop running fairly early in the evening and then you are at the mercy of the taxis. Also, be aware it is quite hot in Brunei so walking, though great exercise, will make you sweaty. I can't really remember any restaurants to recommend. It is not a town that has much in the way of fine dining, but the local food is not bad --strong Indian influence.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
386 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 hour stopover in Brunei - what to do?

It's more like 10 miles to the city, takes 20 mins in a shuttle, Agree the taxi fare before going to city, the bus costs $1 and is so easy to take, they will stop anywhere you wave at them, the theme park is Jerudong, waste of time as they only have nice gardens and a water fountain and a couple of kids rides, open from 2pm till midnight. I would suggest taking a taxi to town, take a water taxi for an hour cruise round Kampong Ayer (water village) shoule be $40 - $50, well worth while, or walk round the town and mosques, plenty of eating places in town, maybe go to The Mall at Gadong, nice and cool, 6 levels of shops and eating places.

BSB
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 hour stopover in Brunei - what to do?

have you looked into doing some tours with the agencies down here? it would be convenient as you would have transportation and someone to show you what you can do within 8 hours(water village cruise, proboscis monkey tour) and won't be late back to catch your flight. i would recommend having a customize tour since you only have 8 hours to see what there is to do here

Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
162 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 hour stopover in Brunei - what to do?

hi Sam,

Are you on a transit? If so..~

There's a complimentary tour at the airport for transit passengers. The tour takes four hours.

Transit tours will run four times a day, giving passengers a selection of tourist attractions including Bandar Seri Begawan’s waterfront that overlooks Kampong Ayer, Yayasan Shopping Centre, Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque, Istana Nurul Iman and Sumbangsih Mulia.

Have fun!

7. Re: 7 hour stopover in Brunei - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Brunei Darussalam