We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Brunei Airlines

LONDON UK
Level Contributor
61 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Brunei Airlines

Travelled London-Melb return with our 20 month old boy. We were recommended the airline by my parents who had just visited us from Melbourne. Having looked at prices, they were a full £500 cheaper than the Emirates who were the next chespest, for 2 adult fares and an infant.

Here is a summary of our experience:

SERVICE

Both the ground staff and flight crew were fabulous. No queues at any of our check ins. As we had an infant we could not check in online but we did not need to. They had us automatically seated in the bulk head on all flights and were given a basinette each time which was an absolute godsend. We were first on the plane each time which anyone teavelling with infants will know is very important.

The service on the flights was excellent. They made us feel most welcome and were very attentive.

AIRLINE

They lease ex Singapore airlines planes- Boing 727's. Ok so they are not as nice as the Emirates planes and there is the odd tv that does not work. The seats and pitch are ok. The entertainment is not great with not a great choice of films and TV, but it certainly was adequate. The food however was terrific.

OVERALL

The extra stop the flight makes at Dubai does make the overall flight seem much longer. However, given the price and amount we saved, I would have to say it was highly worth it. If the flights were the same price or slightly cheaper than Emirates, i would still fly Emirates, however, whilst the price differential remains, I would have no hesitation in flying with Brunei again.

London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines

I am glad to see you liked them, we will be using them next week.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines

They don't have 727's. If they did I would advise against them as these aircraft are ancient.

Royal Brunei use 777's on this route. They have some really competitive Business Class airfares available on Zuji too.

Thank you for your review of them nonetheless, they don't get enough of a mention I think.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 02:10
brunei
Level Contributor
201 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines

Royal Brunei Airlines offer reasonably good service to ordinary travellers along the kangaroo route at sometimes below market prices, which however get unappreciated. Hence last Oct 2011 RBA stopped flying to Brisbane, Auckland, Perth... 100+ staff lost their jobs....and they are now missed by regular travellers both ends.

Edited: 20 February 2012, 23:53
Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines

I'm glad you enjoyed your flight with RBA. You may also post this review at Skytrax so many would benefit from knowing what to expect with this airline. Here's the link --> http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/rba.htm

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,592 posts
1,671 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines

They seem to have the best fares from Melbourne to Manila so its pleasing to read this positive review.

Do you need to pay for extra leg room seats? How does one organise this?

I tried a dummy booking but nothing seemed to come up.

Tommo

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines

What I know may not be updated anymore as the last time I booked an emergency row seat I was not charged a single cent. What I can suggest is this, after booking you may call Royal Brunei at +61-3-86511000 and request for your preferred seat.

Bangkok, Krung...
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines

Happy New Year,2013 To Royal Brunei Airlines, chonrada bunklung

brunei
Level Contributor
201 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines

most flights are half full, so one get not only extra legroom but extra seats.

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,520 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines

I booked RBA from Manila to BSB in 2 months time. I am used to requesting the check-in counter clerk to "block-off" the 2 seats besides me if the flight is not full.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
423 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Brunei Airlines

I will fly Melb - BKK return with RBA in June.

They were heaps cheaper than competitors. There is a plane change in Brunei, but I see that as a chance to stretch my legs.

Get answers to your questions about Brunei Darussalam