We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel between bandar seri begawan and kota kinabulu

sydney
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Travel between bandar seri begawan and kota kinabulu

I would be grateful for any information regarding travel between Bandar Seri Begawan and kota Kinabalu.

I do realise that there are scheduled flights between the two cities but I would prefer to travel by road or sea.

Is this possible and what are my options?

Brunei
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel between bandar seri begawan and kota kinabulu

There is a ferry which you can catch.I thibk the ferry is 2.5 hour or 2.

Your hotel should be able to advise you.A road trip will take ages!!!!We have driven it in a car and its 6 hours....and many borders....you wouldnt think so but trust me!The road trip is fun but only if you have the time.There will certainy be buses.

sydney
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel between bandar seri begawan and kota kinabulu

Thanks Beadnut .I think the ferry sound like the way to go.

I will see if I can get some information on where to catch it from, how frequent it is and how much it costs.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,020 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel between bandar seri begawan and kota kinabulu

I think the way it goes is a ferry from Brunei to Labuan then a different ferry from Labuan to KK. I think it takes longer than indicated above with connections etc. I'm pretty sure that there is no direct link by ferry from Brunei to KK.

THe flying time from Brunei to KK is only about 20 Minutes.

Brunei
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel between bandar seri begawan and kota kinabulu

There are a number of places of interests in Brunei worth visiting. Apart from city tour, eco-tour is another option - if you are a nature lover.

You are able to travel to Kota Kinabalu from Brunei by ferry boat. The boat schedule is as follows:-

0730hrs, 0830hrs, 0900hrs, 1300hrs, 1530hrs & 1640hrs.

The ticket is about B$15.00 to B$20.00 per way. It takes only 45-minutes to one hour from Brunei to Kota Kinabalu.

More information can be obtained from the Service Counter outside the arrival hall of the airport.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,020 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel between bandar seri begawan and kota kinabulu

It must be the worlds fastest ferry. The flying time is 20 Minutes and that is direct. The distance from Brunei to KK is in excess of 200 Km. I'm fairly sure that you can't go direct by ferry you have to go via Labaun.

Brunei
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel between bandar seri begawan and kota kinabulu

You may be better off flying(40 min flight) in all or the ferry is.....1.5 hours to labuan and 3 hours to kk.Thats not counting any possible waiting times.Where the other time comes from the other poster is BEYOND me!!!!!I bet they have never done the trip.....trust ne I am correct on times.If you drive it in a car its 6 hours.Many borders to cross,and only worth it if you live here and have the time.

sydney
Level Contributor
118 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel between bandar seri begawan and kota kinabulu

Thanks all ! and Beadnut I agree with you and I have decided to fly to KK and will visit labuan as a seperate trip from either Brunei or KK if I get the time & if not next time.

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel between bandar seri begawan and kota kinabulu

Two middle aged travellers flying into Brunei and wanting to go on to KK for a couple of days on the way to Sydney. Do you think it is worth doing just for two days and does anyone know how frequent the flights are from BSB to KK? Also a recommendation for a hotel close to ferries to islands?

SALLY

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,020 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel between bandar seri begawan and kota kinabulu

There are two flights a day from Brunei to Kota Kinabalu. Have a look at http://www.bruneiair.com.

Two days in KK is not a lot . I have spent nearly 40 days there over the last 3 years and am going back again in March. There is still a lot to see. If you have an extended time in Brunei I would suggest that you reduce that time and spend more time in KK.

It will be worth the visit to get an idea of the city but that is about all.

If you mean the islands off KK, Sutera Harbour has its own marina with regular services. You can also go from near Shangri-la Tanjung Aru and there is a wharf on the edge of the city.

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,020 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel between bandar seri begawan and kota kinabulu

Missed some of your questions

The road trip is long an difficult and with the short time you have would not recommend it. There are several ferries a day via Labaun andthe total trip is about 5 hours including transfers.

Search on ferries and you will find times.

PS flying time is only about 30 minutes in the air.

Get answers to your questions about Bandar Seri Begawan