We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would it be smart to go to Miri?

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
132 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Would it be smart to go to Miri?

Hi, all,

I will be spending four full days in Brunei (arriving almost midnight on Thursday. Leaving 2am Monday). With that, would it be advisable to go to Miri? If so, should I make it a day trip or an overnight one (taking into consideration the bringing of luggage, etc.)? I heard that there is not too much to do in BSB, especially since I will be with my 50+ y/o parents, so the jungle adventures are out of the question.

Thanks!

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Would it be smart to go to Miri?

Hi! :) Yeah, it seems so. I will probably opt to stay within Brunei instead and maybe try to convince my parents to go to Taman Peranginan Tasek. :D thanks!

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
17,801 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Would it be smart to go to Miri?

When we once stayed at Jubilee Hotel in BSB as most of the staff there are Filipinos, a few of them even offered to lend their car for free but we refuse.

London, United...
Level Contributor
211 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Would it be smart to go to Miri?

Tasek Merimbun is a pleasant day trip from BSB. you could arrange a morning tour through your hotel which would include a boat tour of the lake, which is formed on a bog. there is a small museum about local wildlife and the archeological site on the island, and a small butterfly garden. ask the driver to go through the countryside, not the highway. this would involve driving out 'Jalan Tutong' and gives nice views of farmland, water buffalo, vista--very photogenic.

there is also a trip to a longhouse (in the same general direction) you could do, but all the info i have is what you'll find in any guidebook.

brunei is very quiet and most people move from their house to the car to the shop--not a walking place. the markets are small but friendly for a daytime diversion. there is a night market, but if you've been to others in asia you'll be underwhelmed. bruneians love buffets, so an evening buffet dinner is a good chance to see more people out and about. the empire hotel has a fabulous buffet and some good outdoor restaurants, and there are good places on the BSB waterfront.

do you know that everything will be closed on friday from 12-2 (EVERYTHING) and that the palace is not open to tourists? only asking because some people don't and are unhappy.

KK--i really like this little seaside city, better than miri. it is vibrant and friendly with lots of shops to buy affordable borneo gifts. christmas shopping done. there is an orangutan visiting place there, but i don't know much about it either. we may go next month. there are often cheap flights from brunei, and they are only 30 minutes. transport from the airport to KK is very fast as well.

Davao City...
Level Contributor
4 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Would it be smart to go to Miri?

Great responses from everyone. I'm going to BSB next month as well with my 80-year old grandma in tow. Just to add to takemegalaxy's questions... how are the beaches in BSB? I gather from the responses that there is really not much to do in BSB so I was thinking of checking into a resort hotel and relax instead (since I cannot take my grandma trekking). Any good resort suggestions?

15. Re: Would it be smart to go to Miri?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2014, 07:19
Get answers to your questions about Bandar Seri Begawan