We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is safe to woman non moslem (islam) in brunei??

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
is safe to woman non moslem (islam) in brunei??

helo guys, i want to know is safe to woman non moslem travel to brunei? must they wear a veil (hijab)? thanks

Luzon, Philippines
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Bandar Seri Begawan
Level Contributor
19,332 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is safe to woman non moslem (islam) in brunei??

Yes it is very safe and you would see many women in shorts and shirt. If you do what you do in Jakarta then it is no difference in Brunei as non-Muslims are not required to wear a hijab. Crime rate in Brunei is lower than in any city in Indonesia so in other words it is safer in Brunei than Jakarta.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,232 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is safe to woman non moslem (islam) in brunei??

Following on for the above comments, yes its safe, in fact during the ten days I was there two weeks ago I was surprised that several Bruneian women used the hajib as optional, only for specific events.

One day they wore it, then later they were in western dress without and this was the same of several women I met during my time. And this is based on my experience of having been into several Muslim countries.

Take safety as you would in Jakarta and as long as you appreciate you are a foreigner in someone else’s country I doubt you will experience no problems.

PS Shouldn’t your opening been “hello gals”?

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
614 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is safe to woman non moslem (islam) in brunei??

Hi. I used to work there and it is safe ( obviously take the usual safety precautions) for women. No need to wear hijab. Have fun!!!

Bandar Seri...
Level Contributor
4 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is safe to woman non moslem (islam) in brunei??

Probably one of the safest countries in the world. Very little crime of any sort. I have lived here 4 years and the only crime is simple theft of things like bicycles and very occasional burglaries.

Kuala Belait...
Level Contributor
8 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is safe to woman non moslem (islam) in brunei??

I've been here 12 years and have seen little crime in all this time.

No need for hijab (or tudong as they call it here).

Shirts, shorts, pants or skirts are all fine.

Enjoy your stay here.

6. Re: is safe to woman non moslem (islam) in brunei??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2015, 23:58
Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
10,146 posts
1,267 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is safe to woman non moslem (islam) in brunei??

very safe

it's not iran, u can walk and do whatever withput veil, dont worry

of course, only when u eneter a mosque have to respect that

Jakarta
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is safe to woman non moslem (islam) in brunei??

I live here, and yes it's safe but you need to be aware of restrictions because of the introduction of Sharia law. From April 2014 shorts & western swim suits are banned articles of clothing. Women must wear t-shirts hiding your shoulders & preferably all your forearms, skirts must be below the knees & the longer the better. Do not use any Islamic greetings as that is also against the law. Non-Muslims are also included in Sharia laws. There are serious consequences for drinking water or eating in public (including your car) during Ramadan. Alcohol is strictly restricted to non-Muslims & you cannot consume it in public places because it's deemed as enticing Muslims to sin, so you can only drink in the privacy of your hotel room. You cannot invite a Muslim to your hotel room (man or woman) as you could be seen as committing indecent acts. In other words, there is segregation in the making. Recently non Muslims have been turned away from visiting mosques on days that once we're designated visiting days for everyone. Don't visit during Ramadan as you will not get anything to eat or drink during fasting times as all restaurants must close, I recently recall reading non-Muslims are banned from eating at Muslim owned establishments during the holy month. This country is not like Indonesia, I have lived 3 years in Jakarta & travelled extensively around the country, I can say the Indonesians are not strict about forcing non-Muslims to follow Islamic rules as Brunei is.

Cesena, Italy
Level Contributor
10,146 posts
1,267 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is safe to woman non moslem (islam) in brunei??

damn

i had no idea....

Bandar Seri...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: is safe to woman non moslem (islam) in brunei??

Hello,

Being a Bruneian myself I have to clarify the matter regarding Sharia law. It is ONLY, and I repeat ONLY applicable to Muslims in Brunei. So non-Muslims visiting Brunei should not worry whatsoever.Please get your facts straight before posting, thank you.