We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Cambodia - Where Should I Go?

Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First time in Cambodia - Where Should I Go?

I'm planning my first trip to Cambodia in December. In fact, it's my first trip to Southeast Asia. I'll have about 12 to 14 days and could use some advice on developing an itinerary. Cambodia is the top of my list, but since this is my first trip to Southeast Asia, I'd like to see as much as possible. I'll be flying from the US and was thinking a couple of days in Thailand, then on to Siem Reap and Phnom Penh and then ending the trip on a secluded beach somewhere - not sure where ?? Any insight?

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Cambodia - Where Should I Go?

With 12-14 days, I wouldn't suggest anymore than 3 centres really, travelling around takes alot longer than you think!

I would fly in to bangkok, and then get the first flight into siem reap or PP.

PP i would spend 3 days there, plenty to do - numerous posts on what to do.

SR - again, lots and lots to do. some people spend a few days, others 10 or more, and still have things to do!

Get a good guide book, lonely planet is one of the better ones, and look back at some posts for ideas of what to see and do.

Travel between SR and PP - plane (bangkok air), or bus, is safest bet.

If you are doing more than 3 flights with bangkok air, look into their Discovery air pass.

Leave cambodia and go to bangkok. there is lots to do there, and some relaxing hotels - try the marriott spa and resort by the river - lovely. If you really want a beach, then fly down to one of the numerous beach resorts

Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Cambodia - Where Should I Go?

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it! Any suggestions on beach resorts? I've heard mixed reviews of Sihanoukville. Would Phuket be a better bet? I'd like something quiet and secluded for relaxation -- it's not necessary for the destination to have lots of nightlife, bars, etc.

Birmingham, uk
Level Contributor
883 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Cambodia - Where Should I Go?

If its your first time to a se asian beach, then I'd give shiankouville a miss, and prob phuket too.

Krabi and Loh lanta are appaerntly gorgeous, and much quieter!

You can get a flight with air asia to krabi from bangkok. The earlier you book, the cheaper it is!

Vientiane
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Cambodia - Where Should I Go?

You should spend 3 days in Siemreap, 2 days in Phnompenh and go to Vietnam, where you can find the most beautiful beaches of the world (mui ne, phu Quoc or nhatrang).

But all in all, Siemreap can not be missed (at least 3 days)

Happy traveling

Bill

http://www.traveltolao.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Cambodia - Where Should I Go?

2weeks is a little tight. I would recomend 3days in Phnom Penh. It's a pretty small city. You can travel from south of the city to the north of the city in 30-45minutes by motorcycle taxi. Things to see are genocide museum, killing fields, royal palace, national museum, riverside, central market and russian market.

You can do killing fields, genocide museum and russian market together. Royal palace and national museum in another.

You can travel from Phnom penh to Sihanoukville by bus. 4hrs journey. The beach is not crowded during non khmer holidays. I have found sihanoukville to be pretty quiet and tranquil. You may find thai beaches to be crowded in dec due to tourists.

6hrs by bus from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. I would recomend 3days in Siem reap. 3days is enough to see the Angkors. Tickets are sold for a day pass, 3day pass and 5day pass. Besides the Angkor, not much to see in Siem Reap.

Not sure which part of thailand you want to go but given your schedule, you wouldn't have much time in thailand. I would advise you to fly from Siem Reap or Phnom Penh to Bangkok to save time. The flight alone is about 2hrs, travelling overland would take the better part of the day.

So maybe 3days PP, 2days Sihanoukville, 3days SR and 4days Bangkok(?)

Groningen
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in Cambodia - Where Should I Go?

Hi!

Angkor Wat and PPof course. But also nice is Kampot in the South. You can visit Kep and Bogor Hill station from here (daytrip). This area is a strange but beautiful mixture of French colonial architexture and Cambodian culture!

Paul

Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in Cambodia - Where Should I Go?

Thanks to everyone for your helpful replies! Any recommendations on where to stay?

8. Re: First time in Cambodia - Where Should I Go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 15:19