We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency for Cambodia, Vietnam trip.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Currency for Cambodia, Vietnam trip.

My son is due to leave for 6 weeks travel around Vietnam, China, Cambodia and Thailand.

As he is visiting more than one country, can anyone advise on the best way for him to take money?

He has ordered some US dollars , and is planning on taking currency out of ATM's as needed.

Are ATM's plentiful over there, any foreseeable problems?

Thank very much.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency for Cambodia, Vietnam trip.

The only problem I forsee is that he loses his wallet! Joking aside, he will be fine with US$. All local businesses in Cambodia will accept dollars and he will be given change in the local currency that he can use for his next purchases. In Thailand he can exchange $ for baht, Vietnam he can use dollars OR dong, in China in believe the local currency is the only one they accept.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
102 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency for Cambodia, Vietnam trip.

Thank you for your reply Maneki-neko. I will show him your reply.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,134 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency for Cambodia, Vietnam trip.

Hello Tubster,

As I am in southern PRC/Yunnan Province quite regulary given my cross border work travelling between VN and CN in both directions I can give you part of the answer for China but only as it applies in Yunnan Province.

Firstly, it is PRC policy that only their national currency the Chinese Yuan (CNY) is used for all transactions. The reality is slightly different but be careful.

USD is welcome in China and can easily be changed in to CNY. Officially, this must be done by a tourist at either a bank or at a Five Star Hotel or a Four Star Hotel. Hotels are rated/graded by the PRC National Tourism Agency and may or may not align with the western hotel star grading system. Often not. The point being, however, that five/four star hotels are in tourist areas and legally authorised to chance currency for tourists.However you change your money, you will need to have your passport examined and some of its details noted by the transaction clerk.

ONLY Large/major hotels throughout Yunnan accept major credit cards. Else where all transactions are in CNY. By prior arrangement, your guide or driver may/may accept USD but do not rely on it.

I can not speak about other areas of CN as I am only operating in the south.

I hope that this partial answer adds to your mosaic of information.

Best regards. Ian

4. Re: Currency for Cambodia, Vietnam trip.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 December 2009, 08:28