We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Appropriate Tuk Tuk Tip

New York
Level Contributor
154 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Appropriate Tuk Tuk Tip

We will spend eight days in Siem Reap next month. Our hotel booking includes a tuk tuk for the duration. Does any one have an idea what an appropraite daily tip might be for the tuk tuk driver? He will be availble from dawn to 10 PM -- ungodly hours, but I guess that is normal. Thanks.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Appropriate Tuk Tuk Tip

Tip him at the end of the week, on the final day. $10 (or a tad more)is sufficient, it is up to you to determine how good his services were and then base your tip on that.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
999 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Appropriate Tuk Tuk Tip

$10 per day or for the entire week??? The former would be reasonable, the latter extremely mean in my eyes!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,730 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Appropriate Tuk Tuk Tip

here is another thread on prices and their consequences and good food for thought

check out tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293940-i9551-k321… (specifically have a look at pages 3 & 4 (posts 36 onwards)

the thing you need to put into perspective is this: if you pay $15 per day is $10 per day an excessive tip - I think so -would you tip anyone else 66% of the price for some goods or a service - probably not. My advice - spread your tipping around, most drivers do OK - it's the folk who make your beds and wait on your tables who could really do with the extra cash

happy travels

helen

Edited: 28 January 2010, 05:17
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Appropriate Tuk Tuk Tip

I would be leaning towards between $10 to $20 for the week.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Appropriate Tuk Tuk Tip

Actually, having said that, it really does depend on the service! We had good Tuk Tuk drivers in SR but not the best and nothing outstanding so we did not tip over the top. We had a brilliant Driver for four days out to Kratie and we tipped him a whole day rate, he was amazing.

Staff and a Tuk Tuk driver that looked after us in Kampot, we tipped well as they go above and beyond what we require.

So it depends and just guage it on what you feel comfortable with!!

It is sometimes an awkward thing espcially if you are not used to tipping as we in aust are'nt!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Appropriate Tuk Tuk Tip

$10 for the entire week. He is a driver, not a guide. He takes you there, drops you off, and has all his time to himslef while guests are clamboring around the temples. $10 for the week or a bit more, depending on service, is plenty. Many people do not tip at all, and others like to throw thier money at these guys, there are all types.

Tipping is generally not a custom in Asia, most people coming from the west don't seem to know this, but for exceptional service, it is very much recommended (& will be appreciated!).

New York
Level Contributor
154 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Appropriate Tuk Tuk Tip

Thanks for the input all. Want to do the right thing. We will also remember the house cleaning staff at the hotel. Back in the mid 90s (before Suharto fell), my wife and I spent a four days in Yogakarta in Indonesia. We were peddled all over the place by a man who worked as hard as any man I have ever met. It was a scene straight out of Peter Weir's great film, "The Year of Living Dangerously." I always remember that man. He had imprinted the name "Mercedes Benz" on his carriage.

8. Re: Appropriate Tuk Tuk Tip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 07:17