We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tipping etiquette?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
204 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
tipping etiquette?

What's the tipping etiquette in Cambodia? I never left a tip in China because I knew they didn't expect it. We sometimes left tips in Hong Kong since it was so much more westernized. And we didn't always leave tips in Europe. However, I never NOT leave a tip in the States even if the service is not stellar. So what about Cambodia? Tour guides, restaurant servers, bartenders?

I am traveling on a budget. But I also understand and agree with the concept of supporting the economy there by being a consumer. I just don't want to throw money around when I don't have to.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
204 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tipping etiquette?

oh before anybody replies, I just want to say I don't mean to be rude and cheat any hard-working person a tip, not at all. I just would like to know the common etiquette. Thanks in advance

South Pole
Level Contributor
267 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tipping etiquette?

I never tip in SE Asia, or in most of the world, where a fee for service has been agreed in advance.

As you note, many people from the USA tip wherever they go because that is part of domestic culture. It probably feels strange not to tip.

Few people will reject any extra money that is offered to them. I think you could help restore pride amongst Cambodians by NOT throwing extra cash around, as many tourists do.

Perhaps you could save up any potential tips and donate the 'collection' to a local organisation that will ensure good is done.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tipping etiquette?

In my humble opinion I think tipping etiquette should be that wherever you are in the globe - if you get fabulous service then you should tip. The amount depends on the service, country and situation.

In all my travels I have never been anywhere where leaving a tip to say thanks for the service has been seen as offensive – it usually warmly appreciated.

I personally do not want to be dictated to on how much I should tip or that I HAVE to tip like the USA and Canada but I also hate the blanket mentality of we don't tip here because we are ..... Australian. NZ or whatever. If it is good service say thanks and show it.

Cheers

Suzi

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tipping etiquette?

Agree with suzii.

I tip in Aisa because l have had outstanding service, not because l feel l have too!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tipping etiquette?

I'm with #4, so that means I tip only on occasion.

Long thread on tipping here

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297390-i9163-k230…

If you do a search, you'll get a whole lot more...

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
739 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tipping etiquette?

It's much of a personal choice. I always tip if the service delivered is excellent and I have never seen anyone who is offered a tip considers it to be an offence.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,783 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tipping etiquette?

Well normally tip khmer dosh back for restaurants/bars, few dollars daily for the maids, and guides/transports. Not much for me, but means heaps for them. (has to be good service though - which I find it rare that it hasnt been)

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,118 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tipping etiquette?

I have never tipped a maid.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,664 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tipping etiquette?

Not even in the USA Maneki-neko ???

That is a great idea Britmavweric as a way to use your khmer money and put it to a good cause

Cheers

Suzi

South Pole
Level Contributor
267 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tipping etiquette?

Well "jj731" I'm not sure that we actually addressed your question.

Is tipping a custom native to Cambodia, in the way that it is in the US? No, as noted in earlier threads on the subject.

Do many Tripadvisor contributors choose to tip whever they go for their own reasons? Apparently so.

Enjoy your trip and even your budget-concious spending (just as mine is) will be appreciated.