We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cycling in cambodia

somerset uk
Level Contributor
341 posts
Save Topic
cycling in cambodia

Please forgive the very naive questions. I am just beginning to research the possibilities of a cycling tour of Cambodia, taking my own bike from the UK. I have done this many times to Sri Lanka so traffic/bad roads poses no anxieties. Has anyone done this before? Obviously hundreds of questions to be answered but first off is, do any airlines fly direct to Phnom Peng ( I fear transfers as the likelihood of the bike arriving with me are reduced) and allow over size baggage to go free, as do Srilankan to Colombo? (I don't take much stuff.) And can one get accomodation and live off local/street food for no more than £10 per day?

I have looked back a few weeks on this forum - any helpful links I have missed?

Richard

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cycling in cambodia

hi Richard,i have cycled from Bangkok to Phnom Penh and around the lake the country is quite flat and now for the most part sealed roads.its very easy to eat at the road side stalls and find accommodation as you go,cost about $2 a meal including water.i normally would sleep at someones shelter or home,the khmers will look after you and its a great way to learn khmer.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,275 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cycling in cambodia

Hello riconabikes,

I have seen many cycling tourists in Cambodia and riding their own bikes.

Most airlines accept bikes but require them to be somewhat reduced in volume and packed in a carton of some sort for the protection of the bike.

Quite possibly you did this or similar for other cycling trips overseas?

Also, I have frequently seen cyclists moving their bikes between destinations, complete with full panniers etc, on several of the better bus companies. Some companies make a small charge for bikes and, indeed, small, lightweight, step through motor cycles. So no problems here.

Cambodia is a far more cyclist friendly country than, say Vietnam, but just remember that there are basically no road rules in Cambodia other than biggest/fastest has righ of way in that driver's mind at least. So be prepared to be highly visible by day and night.

Many airlines fly in to Phnom Penh but far fewer in to Siem Reap. Just make a Google search of Phnom Penh Airport Arrivals to see which airlines service and are best for you. Best to stay with the same carrier all the way through from check in to final destination for best transfers of baggage. I use Thai International (TG) for this reason as often travelling with lots of medical/ophthalmic supplies.

Hope that this helps a bit.?

All best regards. ian

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,382 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cycling in cambodia

Hi riconabike

my sister and her partner cycled HCMC to Bangkok via Cambodia a few years ago (in their B/C - before children days) By all accounts they had a wonderful time - their bikes proving to be a great conversation starter - these are not your run-of-the-mill pushies but rather quite fancy & expensive mountian bikes. Kids & teenagers all through Cambodia wanted to have a look and/or a ride, and a chat to the blonde lady on a bike (some kids they came across had never seen anyone with blonde hair before)

Their bikes pack down into travelling 'pouches' (for want of a better word) and their paniers have straps to convert them (sort-of) to backpacks.

We also came across a couple of Aussies pedalling their way from Kampot to Kep when we were there last year.

I think you'll have a great time

cheers

helen

Edited: 21 February 2011, 05:55
somerset uk
Level Contributor
341 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cycling in cambodia

Many thanks all for the positive and encouraging replies. Definately worth pursuing.

Richard

5. Re: cycling in cambodia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 04:19