We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel around Cambodia

Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel around Cambodia

I'm currently planning a holiday to Cambodia and would like to know if it is better to travel in an organised tour or to travel independently. I have never been before so would really like sopme help!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,645 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel around Cambodia

Cambodia is a very easy place for DIY travel.

Most tourists to Cambodia do just this - do it themselves - and save a lot of money in doing so and get the arrangements they want when they want it and where they want it.

Give it a go.

Best regards. Ian

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel around Cambodia

Hey get2go, Cambodia is a very easy country to travel around in.

Check out www.canbypublications.com and travel fish and go from there.

When we started travelling independently l would check out organised tours to work out my Itinerary and then just do them myself! The internet makes this process so easy!

It will also save you money doing it yourself. Please have a think about what you want to see and do and don;t hesitate to come back and ask some questions.

Edited: 03 March 2011, 05:34
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
119 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel around Cambodia

Ditto - DIY is easy, loads of fun, and saves you loads. I had looked at booking a tour on advice from a travel agent - would have cost thousands more, and we would not have see all the places we did. Cambodia.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,804 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel around Cambodia

Hi get2go,

I'm another fan of DIY travel in Cambodia.

The Canby site AnnG has posted is a great site - accommodation, maps and sample itineraries.

As a new member you may not have noticed these other really useful bits of the TA site.

At the top right this page and the individual city forums are a bunch of Top questions - they link to reports and questions others have had in the past and are bound to be useful as you start your planning.

On the left are a group of links - again really useful

and finally - directly above is the search box - put in the name of a town, a method of travel, a hotel and you will get taken to all posts which relate to that topic - a fantastic source for finding out what others have done in a similar time, group number, with kids etc.

As AnnG says, do come back when you have an idea of itinerary and need some specific questions answered

happy planning

helen

Australia
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel around Cambodia

Thanks everyone for your advice and Helen for your informative explanation of the site! As a "newbie" to TA this has really helped get me started :)

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,804 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel around Cambodia

Hi again get 2go

beware.... TA is very adictive!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,316 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel around Cambodia

Ditto - Helen!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,023 posts
524 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel around Cambodia

I agree with Helen, I am hooked on TA .

Here is my trip report with tips/ pictures if you wanted some ideas.

travelpod.com/travel-blog/smittee/1/tpod.html

siem reap
Level Contributor
417 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel around Cambodia

for anyone that comes from an english speaking country,cambodia is very easy as most people you meet in the tourist areas speak some basic english,the people you meet are happy to see you and transport,hotels,markets ect are all easy to book and buy produces.By DIY you not only save money but have a far greater flexability and freedom .and you will meet more locals and have a better understanding of cambodia and its people.

sydney
Level Contributor
386 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel around Cambodia

Just saw this thread and it has already given me some ideas so thanks to get2go for starting the post and those who have made suggestions.

I had originally planned to travel to egypt this year (Cambodia next year) but my plans have obviously had to change and I was feeling somewhat low at scrapping my early egypt research.

Not being young (but not really old) and only ever having rtavelled to India (4 times) I was a little nervous at travelling solo in Cambodia. from what I have read, it seems that there is absolutely no need for my concerns.

I am already a trip advisor addict and so will surely being checking out contributions as I organise my trip. Thanks again