We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Change in plans - going to Cambodia on Tuesday! Help needed!

PA
Level Contributor
117 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Change in plans - going to Cambodia on Tuesday! Help needed!

So we are currently in Thailand and just decided to change our plans from going to phuket (due to weather) to going to cambodia. We are going to arrive in phnom phen on tuesday and will be there until saturday. Since we have not done any planning and are currently traveling, I would really love any advice possible. We were thinking of spending some time in phnom phen and siam reap but am open to any suggestions - how would you plan an itinerary for those days? Any suggestions on what to do? I don't want to spend more than one day at ankor wat.

Thanks soo much!!

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Change in plans - going to Cambodia on Tuesday! Help needed!

You don't want to spend more than one day at Angkor Wat ????? Why ??..you will barely scratch the surface of that amgnificent site and its environs during that time!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,083 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Change in plans - going to Cambodia on Tuesday! Help needed!

Angkor Wat is a temple, and can be seen in 1~3 hours, depending on your pace. The rest of the temples in the Angkor park and beyond require at least 3 full days to see. I also advise to spend at least 2 days in Phnom Penh to see the sights if you can.

For more details on what to do, see the FAQs section in the upper right hand of your screen.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,806 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Change in plans - going to Cambodia on Tuesday! Help needed!

you should also check out the Canby site canbypublications.com/siemreap/sritinerary.h… for ideas on itineraries in Siem Reap - as Maneki says Angkor Wat is a single temple and there is much more to see than just this one temple.

Don't be tempted to think "seen one- seen them all" - my favourite is Beng Melea - hire a car, drive about 90 minutes, spend a couple of hours exploring (Indiana Jones style) and back into town - a great way to see some of the countryside.

I'd suggest the remainder of Tuesday, all day Wed in Phnom Penh and them get the bus to Siem Reap on thursday morning, catch sunset on Thursday and then Friday & Saturday exploring the temples

It will be hot & dry so do make sure you keep your fluid intake up. I'd also go for a hote with a pool - nothing beats a cooling swim to wash away the dry & dust of a visit to the temples at this time of the year

cheers

helen

Siem Reap, Cambodia
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Change in plans - going to Cambodia on Tuesday! Help needed!

in siem reap plenty to do,can recommend apart from the temples,Prek toal,the bird sanctuary,home to many rare large waterbirds,and its there breeding season ATM,or kompong phluk,or sunset on the great lake,all water type tours.kulin mountain for a few waterfalls and swimming,nice day trip and stop off at a few local villages on the way.land mine museeum in siem reap is worth a visit.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Change in plans - going to Cambodia on Tuesday! Help needed!

Hi,

If I had my time again in Scambodia I'd spend as little time as possible in PP and more in SR (and maybe other places). SR is a good base for lots of stuff - as paul99 notes. IMHO you can experience 'all Scambodia has to offer' from a SR base.

In PP you can see S21, the killing fields (pretty dull IMHO) and the palace all in one day. Spend an evening on the riverfront and leave the next day.

As for shopping at the over hyped markets, save it for BK or KL - unless your dead keen on $2 t-shirts which start falling apart in a week.

enjoy !

R

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Change in plans - going to Cambodia on Tuesday! Help needed!

Kauai1234 I had an introduction to Cambodia last year and had a wonderful time. Not once did I feel I had been scammed. With 5 days as you have, I would do as Helen suggests and spend the first day and then all of Wednesday in Phnom Penh.

Spend some time at The National Museum, the Royal Palace, a couple of the temples. You could also take in the Killing Fields and the prision. Take sometime on one of the evenings to wander along the riverfront and watch the local enjoying the evening.

TRavel up to Siem Reap by bus- about 6hrs and around $10 depending on the bus company you book. Go out andenjoy asunset the firstday and then spend the next day taking in as many temples asyou can fit in- or at the very least Ankor Wat, Bayon,Ta Prom and Preah Khan.

The next day if you really do not want to spend another day at the temples take a day trip out on the Tonle Sap- or an afternoon sunset tripand visit the National Silk farm in the morning.

There are a number of other places outside of these 2 centres I could recommend but in 5 days you would be rushing it.

By the way- the clothing items I bought from the markets are still going strongso don't beputoff from the shopping. My opinion the same as Rogers is his. In 3 weeks I did not feel like I was scammed at all andwashappy to pay the prices I agreed to in all my transactions.

To all- please pardon the poor useofaspacebar inmy posts at the moment but i have anewlaptop and the spacebaris not sensitiveenough and I am getting sick ofediting myposts.

Edited: 02 April 2011, 21:45
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Change in plans - going to Cambodia on Tuesday! Help needed!

Hi Kameka,

Iluvthespacebarproblemmakesmelaugh!!

Are you saying in 3 weeks you didn't once have a tuktuk driver try and charge you $5 for a $1 fare?

Not one bookseller try and charge you $10 for a $2 photocopied book?

Didnt see one $20 "silk" tie which was actually polyester? (I picked up real silk ties for $7 !)

Didnt have stallkeepers try and charge $20 for dresses made in Thailand ! - which sell for less than half the price there? (for the missus btw not me !!)

Didnt have 50c bottles of water offered to you for $2 or $3 or even $4 !?

I wasn't unhappy with the prices I paid either its just they start haggling at 500% over reasonable price, which just gets a little tiresome. I won't even start on the overt in-your-face corruption..cause that's slightly off topic...

I found the t-shirt quality in KL markets to be much better but also double the price. The t-shirts I bought in Scambodia are coming apart at the seams, Ive only worn them two or three times. My $2 'Nam tshirts are still going strong ....but yes, its all relative from ones own experience........

Dont get me wrong, we mostly enjoyed Cambodia, mostly SR though :-)

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Change in plans - going to Cambodia on Tuesday! Help needed!

Hi Roger- that God i am not typing a thesis or I would go really crazy. i got sick of theworklaptop and decided I would buy myselfone butforgot to check out the keyboard. Was more interested in theHD screen as I want tostart editingmy photos to start creating Photobooks.

No I was never asked $5 for a $1 tuktuk ride- when I was asked for $2 I just laughed and moved onto the next driver. It would not have been enough that I would have started to call Cambodia "Scambodia". this makes it sound like it spoilt your whole holiday and was the overriding impression of the place you wished to convey to a poster who was asking about places to go.

Scams- now I could go into that. As in the taxi driverin Hanoi who had a rigged meter and was trying to chargeme 3times the rate I knew I had paid on the trip out to the Museum I was visiting. But it would not makemepost a reply that gives the overarching view that Vietnam isfull of scam artists.

But as i said in my original post- you are entitled to youropinion. I am just giving the OP another view. I forone do notthink I was continually scammedin Cambodia.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Change in plans - going to Cambodia on Tuesday! Help needed!

Wow rroger_rramjet I think your comments are pretty harsh. This is Asia after all and all these events happen across the sub continent and not just in Cambodia. I actually felt the Vietnamese were far more enthusiastic in their scams and trying to rip me off. I am going back to Cambodia again this year but will not be going back to Vietnam - each to their own but I loved the gentleness of the Cambodians and their good humour - especially with all the idiot and arrogant tourists they have to deal with

Suzi

Edited: 03 April 2011, 05:53
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,730 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Change in plans - going to Cambodia on Tuesday! Help needed!

I have to agree with Kameka on this.

Roger I believe a scam to involve deceit or trickery. The only one of your examples I would call a scam is polyester labeled as silk.

If a tuk tuk driver quotes you $5 and you agree to pay it then that's your fault for being silly. Same for a bottle of water, a dress, or a book. If you don't like the price then purchase elsewhere.

If you are quoted $1 and you agree to $1 but you are taken to the wrong place or feel threatened into handing over $5 then that's a scam. We certainly didn't experience anything like that on our trip.

Charging a higher price just because they can get away with it is not unique to Cambodia - it happens all over the world.