We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phnom Penh Scam Outlined

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Phnom Penh Scam Outlined

Future travelers to Phnom Penh, please read this

phnompenhpost.com/index.php/2012042555765/Na…

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phnom Penh Scam Outlined

I've read about this scam in vietnam, looks like they've moved countries, thanks for the warning.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,068 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phnom Penh Scam Outlined

Thanks for posting this warning, Maneki-neko and as Chrella says, this sort of nonsense has been going on in Vietnam for ages.

Got to say that it's completely beyond me why anybody would wander off to an unknown destination in a strange country with a complete stranger. Never heard of stranger danger? Would you go to the home of a person unknown to you for lunch in your own country? Of course not. Surely all the red lights would be going off in your head if you were approached in this way.

I dunno, maybe I'm being unkind but some people shouldn't leave home, but having said that, I do feel for the folk who've been duped.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phnom Penh Scam Outlined

I so agree with you Travelkat. Why on earth would a person fall for something like that, but similar to the all-too-frequent gem scam, people get greedy...

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
18,513 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phnom Penh Scam Outlined

I agree, who would be silly enough to wander off with a total stranger. Trouble is that this & similar scams continues to catch the unwary (aka stupid) as a long thread on the Bangkok forum attests. Sadly, the first time many new TA members post is to complain about being scammed or fess up to being scammed. I will never understand why people dont do at least a little basic research before they travel.

Maneki can we get this put (high up) in the Top questions? (perhaps for both the Cambodia main page and for the PP page too)

cheers

helen

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phnom Penh Scam Outlined

There's a SCAM question there already , Helen.

I'll add it there.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
242 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phnom Penh Scam Outlined

Thanks Maneki,

It's really good that you regulars are letting new people know about the current scams. We didn't come across this Blackjack one and I'd like to say I wouldn't have fallen for it, but amazingly people are.

I got hit up in Siem Reap with the Milk Powder Scam as I was approaching a food mart. As soon as the girl grabbed my arm and made her pitch, I turned to my husband and mouthed " Milk Powder Scam " it was kind of exciting to see it unfold before my eyes.

Once inside the Mart we quietly managed to warn 4 different people who were being taken in. But those girls are NASTY, they twigged on to what we were doing and 1 of them whacked against me, and told us where to go in perfect English!

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phnom Penh Scam Outlined

And thanks, #6, for remindign us of that scam, it is really drawing in tourists these days. The tourist police should be notified, those people are incorrigible...

Slovakia
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phnom Penh Scam Outlined

this happened to me in PP on feb.23 or 24th!! some guy on motorbike very politely stop me and started conversation, saying he want to travel to my part of Europe, when I said I'm leaving to Malaysia tomorrow he was like "I have a wife from malaysia ..." etc etc, so it was quite suspicious from the begenning to me. than he invited me for a coffe, I was like hm-hm, but agreed because I know some very close shop with cameras, haha. He offered a drive to me, I said no, I'll take a walk and let's meet there (it was 150m only) ... there he started blahblahblah about how much he want to go to my country and if I think his Visa or Master Cards will be valid there, I said sure, he asked if I have and can show him my credit card ... what??? I said (lied) no, I have none and that I spent all my cash already and leaving tomorrow. Than he said just something like "aha, ok ... so, thank you & goodbye" stood up and left. I was quite sure it was some kind of scam, now I know.

This happened to me ... iirc at 51st / Keo Chea cross.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 15:05
Chanthaburi...
Level Contributor
31 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phnom Penh Scam Outlined

just saw this thread - I had similar exp in PP on 22nd Feb this year, 130 street, this time he has sister going to uni in NZ, with a heart condition, wanted me to go to lunch at his house to talk to her . . . then went on to talk about how lucky he'd been recently gambling . . . I gave a very firm 'no thanks' and headed on my way.

I have just come back from another week in PP - while there a newspaper item about a USA woman being robbed on 1 May of US$4400 - here is the link phnompenhpost.com/index.php/2012051656187/Na…

so they are clearly still 'at it'.

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,094 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phnom Penh Scam Outlined

Now THAT is a lot of cash to be carrying! :-o