We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siem Reap for 4 nights

Sydney
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Siem Reap for 4 nights

Hey Guys,

We are thinking of spending 4 nights in Siem Reap in Cambodia after spending 4 nights in Ho Chi Minh City..

What could you recommend for 4 nights and 5 days in Cambodia?

Will would love to spend some time at the temples especially Agkor Wat. What other ones would be close by to see and where would be the best area to stay? Any hotels you could recommend?

Thanks for all your help :)

Will be our first time to Cambodia and Vietnam for that matter, very exciting :)

Michael

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Siem Reap for 4 nights

A map of the temples

canbypublications.com/maps/SR-AngkorParkMain…

Burr Ridge, Illinois
Level Contributor
3,900 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Siem Reap for 4 nights

It all depends on how much you love temples. I enjoy temples, but I only need a short time to experience the structure. Some people spend days exploring the temples and love every moment. How much time do you want to spend walking and exploring temples?

I don't want to offend any TA people, but I was surprised that Siem Reap was more of a tourist town than I expected. Mind you, I totally enjoyed my time in SR and will go back, but it reminded me of a 3rd World Disneyland in some ways.

Please, don't misunderstand, the temples and the area is fantastic. The hotels are amazing and world class The restaurants have some of the best food in the world. Yes, I say world. But, the area has grown so fast that it has a touristic feel.

Just a suggestion, consider adding another city in Cambodia if you aren't going to spend 4 days looking at temples. I fell in like with Cambodia and want to go back and explore other parts of the beautiful country,

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Siem Reap for 4 nights

Hey Muzza,

Spend your 4 nights in SR - a 3 day temple pass will suit you- plenty to see around town including a visit to Tonle Sap (and maybe some of the villages etc) or a longer day trip to somewhere like Kbal Spean or Beng Melea or Phnom Kuleen.

Trying to fit in another town in only 4 days is silly - it will take up most of a day to get from SR to PP unless you plan to fly.

Have a good read through the whole Canby site (link above) and also check out www.travelfish.org

Four days will be a good taster & you may find yourself wanting to come back and explore some more of this fantastic country.

cheers

helen

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Siem Reap for 4 nights

Hi Michael - I agree with thmoore - spend your four nights in Siem Reap. There is much more to see/do/experience beyond the temples - take a quick look at www.canbypublications.com for some ideas. Lots of information here as well - take a look at top questions to the right side of the page. Unless you fly between cities (and can only do so between PP and SR) you'll spend half a day or more on transport. I'm one of those who just can't get enough of temple time - our first trip in Jan/Feb 2011 we spent six days in SR and were at temples every day. A return trip in October we had two glorious weeks in SR and spent time at different temples daily. That's not for everyone though - some are quite content to wander through, see some highlights and call it a day. We'll be back this November for a month in Cambodia - two weeks will be in SR - there are many temples I haven't seen yet:) If you're interested photos from both trips can be seen at www.lynnriderphotography.com Have a wonderful trip!

Sydney
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Siem Reap for 4 nights

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your ideas.

I didn't know you could get a 3 day temple pass. Where would be the best place to buy this from?

Where abouts did you all stay when you went to SR? Any hotels you can recommend?

We will be going in December - is this an ok time of the year to be going?

Thanks so much - so grateful for all your assistance :)

Michael :)

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Siem Reap for 4 nights

Hi again,

you get your pass at the entrance to the park. Your driver will stop there enroute to your first temple. $20/ 1 day, $40 / 3 days (any three in a week) or $60/ 7 day (any 7 in a month)

Hotels will depend on your budget but Tanei guesthouse is under $30 (per room not per person) close to Pub St and has a pool (a must)

December is a great time to visit weather wise, but unfortunately because of this it's also the most popular/busiest. If you end up with a particular hotel/guestouse in mind, better to book ahead to guarantee your spot.

Guesthouses etc can organise driver/guide if you need them

cheers

helen

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
1,984 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Siem Reap for 4 nights

Depending on what time you arrive in SR you could also pick up your pass at 5pm on that day, and head out for sunset in front of Angkor Wat (or another of the temples). The temples themselves close at 5:30 or so (some of the more remote temples close earlier), but if you enter the park after 5pm it won't count as an actual day on your pass. December is a wonderful time to visit - it is also high tourist season, so you may find slightly higher prices for hotels. We stay at River Village Manor - a bit north of town and along the river. An easy 10 minute tuk tuk ride to Pub Street, and within a community.

8. Re: Siem Reap for 4 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2013, 05:16