We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phnom penh guesthouse

Cleveland, Ohio...
Level Contributor
62 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
phnom penh guesthouse

I am having trouble making a decision about a guesthouse in phnom penh. Here is what I am looking for:

1. Staff that has good English skills and is very helpful and friendly.

2. Price could be anything from $20 to $45./night

3. I am traveling solo and would love to meet other travelers, but I am in my mid thirties and am not interested in late night partying anymore, so would prefer something more laid back.

4. I tend to like quirky places without too many rooms that aren't too impersonal.

5. Want hot water and safe place to lock up valuables.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13,249 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phnom penh guesthouse

Half of Phnom Penh's guesthouses/hotels fit in to that $ range.

Just follow the forum for a short while and read Trip Reports or Just back Reports (JBR's) as some people insist on calling them.

You will get plenty of information by doing this then just narrow down your selection to suit your own requirements.

Best regards. Ian

Cologne, Germany
Destination Expert
for Cologne, Laos
Level Contributor
7,919 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phnom penh guesthouse

If you want to stay in a place where you can meet fellow travellers, I would recommend Mad Monkey. It is 5 minutes from the Independance Monument, and offers both dorm rooms and private rooms (fan or a/c and either shared orr private bathrom - price ranges between $10 and $20) The owner and the staff are fantastic, always happy to help. The big advantage is the bar downstairs, where all other guest are either having a drink or checking emails - so it is not dificult to meet new people. Personally I really enjoyed my stay there

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: phnom penh guesthouse

My son (27) stayed there and ended up working there for several months and has just only moved on because he has a work visa for oz. The Mad Monkey has just won the Certificate of Excellence for 2012. Check out their website

Edited: 01 November 2012, 18:55
4. Re: phnom penh guesthouse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 23:19