We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cambodia/Thailand Itinerary

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Cambodia/Thailand Itinerary

We are two early thirties females planning a trip to Thailand/Cambodia in March 2013, and I wanted to get a few suggestions on our itinerary. Unfortunately, due to our limited time off, we only have a few weeks, and want to maximize our time.

We are thinking of spending some time up north (Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai), heading to a beach (maybe Koh Sumai), going to Siem Reap and Angkor Wat, and spending a day or two in Bangkok and/or Phnom Penh (very standard, I know). Minus the beach part though, we are hoping to not do anything too touristy while we are, and enjoy stuff more off the beaten path and try to get an authentic experience.

Questions I have, include:

- Is Phnom Penh worth a trip given our limited time?

- Would you do Cambodia or Thailand first? (wondering because of the emotional toll of seeing some of the sites in Phnom Penh)

- Recommendations for a good trek in northern thailand that is not too "touristy" and more authentic

- Recommendations for a beach, not too difficult to get to from Bangkok, that has nightlife (not college aged), and more reasonably priced accomodations

Thank you!!

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,425 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cambodia/Thailand Itinerary

hi nrsalo

if you can be a bit more specific in terms of time - you say 'a few weeks' but is that 3 or 6 because it will make a difference.

do you have a draft itinerary? if so, post it here for comment - people are better able to offer suggestions with more info.

PP is a great little city and deserves 2-3 days

have a look at www.canbypublications.com and www.travelfish.org - both will help you sort your itinerary a bit and then you can get further help

cheers

helen

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
235 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cambodia/Thailand Itinerary

We visited Thailand and Cambodia in March /April this year for 3 weeks, so similar to what you are planning.

We first stayed in Bangkok, flew to Phnom Penh, road trip to Siem Reap, flew to Phuket, then back to Bangkok.We were all happy with the order of our travels.

Looking back though, I have very strong trip memories of our time in Phnom Penh. I felt like a stranger in a strange land which I loved, so perhaps more of an authentic experience. In Siem Reap I felt like a tourist in a lovely tourist spot (which was still fantastic)

For our group, having the relaxing beach stay in Phuket after busy Cambodia was probably a good way to wind down before going home. There is a beach resort near Bangkok (3 hours drive) called Hua Hin that you could check out if you don't want to fly to your destination.

Have good fun planning!

Orbetello, Italy
Level Contributor
28 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cambodia/Thailand Itinerary

Hi we've been in thailand for one month in march and we are going to cambodia in december.

Chiang mai is fantastic and offers a really good atmosphere ,unfortunately all the trekking are touristic but march .april is low season so you will'be from six to ten people ,witch is good because you can make friends.

Do the three days trek reccomended.

Puket ...forget it is like Miami beach full of crap and brothel.

Koh pi pi best as ever,nice nightlife,no cars no scooters walk without shoes and you can take daily boats around the little islands that are just stunning.

Koh samui not to bad but after koh pi pi nothing is better....

Bangkok ,nice first impact...if you are never been in a southeast asian capital you'll be surprised in how many people you can squeeze in a square meter,after 2 days makes you sick for smog.

About Cambodia we would like to know something more aswell....

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cambodia/Thailand Itinerary

Thanks all so far for your comments! Unfortunately we only have about two weeks for this trip (gotta love the amount of vacation days we are given!)

The itinerary we were thinking is as follows:

Fly into Chiang Mai - spend 5 nights, 4 full days

Fly to Bangkok - spend 1 night, or 1.5 days

Take train/bus/taxi to Siem Reap - spend 3 nights, 2.5 days

Take bus or fly to Phnom Penh, spend 2 nights

Back to Bangkok, fly to Koh Samui for our last 3 days, 4 nights

It seems very cramped, and I want to make sure we are doing each location justice, but with our time constraints, not sure what to cut out or how to make the experience more enjoyable. Also, while flying everywhere cuts down on time, it is more expensive, and takes away from the authenticity of the country.

Thanks!

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cambodia/Thailand Itinerary

We are family of 3 and planning the same trip for December/January for 2 weeks. Could you tell nore about your itinerary. Where did you ended up going, what would you suggest. We will really appreciate your help.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cambodia/Thailand Itinerary

As this is an old post the OP might not answer but you can send them a private message by clicking on the username, otherwise start a new topic.

Colorado Springs, CO
Level Contributor
43 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cambodia/Thailand Itinerary

Hi Helen, I'm curious how this itinerary worked out for you. My wife and I are looking to do a similar itinerary next year (with similar time frame 2 weeks). Anything you would do differently in retrospect?

Thanks!

Darren

New Delhi, India
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cambodia/Thailand Itinerary

I am planning the same trip in nov for 2 weeks. How did your trip go and what was your itinerary? Please share your exp. I would be really grateful.

9. Re: Cambodia/Thailand Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2015, 07:16