We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cover up in temples

somerset uk
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Topic
cover up in temples

I am aware that one must cover shoulders /knees in temples. Is it alright for a bloke to put on a sarong when necessary rather than long trousers/long shorts? I have done this in other countries with no problem, albeit getting slightly askance looks at times!

Richard

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cover up in temples

Why not just bring a pair of long pants? They will not only protect your legs from the sun & mosquitos, but will look much better than a dude in a sarong...

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,653 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cover up in temples

you will find it pretty difficult to climb the stairs in a sarong - major trip hazzard - it is knees & upper arms that must be covered for temples not necessarily the whole limb

Adelaide
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cover up in temples

A pair of shorts that end just below the knee is all you need. Given that it's difficult to find casual shorts that don't end below the knee these days you should have no problems at all.

somerset uk
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cover up in temples

Thanks for this. Problem is I HATE long shorts ( it's my age I expect) and I don't want to wear pants - I assume you mean trousers - all day just so I can go into temples. Mozzies don't bite me and I love the sun. My sarong is very loose fitting and needn't be full length so I won't trip over it. Plenty of proper shorts in UK for those like me who prefer them . I would rather stick with my sarong - it stays in my bag except when I am in temples. I just wanted to check that it is legal and acceptable.

5. Re: cover up in temples

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 11:15