We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bears

London
Level Contributor
373 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Bears

Hello!

I'm planning around 3 weeks in Cambodia next January and would love to see some bears if possible. I know about the zoo/resuce centre south of Phnom Penh, but I always find it a bit sad seeing animals even in cages, even if they've been rescued from somewhere even worse. I read that there are bears in the Kirirom national park, but not been able to find out much info - does anyone know if that's right?

Thanks very much for any help.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bears

The majority of Bears in the wilderness of Cambodia have been wiped out by poachers...mainly to sell to the Chinese (along with most other wildlife, tigers, etc) for medicinal purposes. Therefore I don't like your chances of being able to spot any in the wild.

Check this place out though... overseascharity.org/Cambodia/bear-sanctuary.…

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,860 posts
413 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bears

Debbie, you should still go to the Phnom Tamao Wildlife Rescue Centre. The Australian organization Free the Bears plays a big part in the rescue and rehabilitation of Asiatic black bears and sun bears and operate from here.

The bears are not in small cages etc, their enclosures are big & beautiful with ponds, jungle, lots of interesting things for them to explore & play with. There is also a top class veterinary hospital has also been built to treat the bears who can come in with horrific injuries.

If you contact them before you arrive they will organise to show you around:)

Here are some of our photos from the centre.

http://tinyurl.com/bt9vq8k

Cathy

London
Level Contributor
373 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bears

Thank you - i will give it some further thought. I have read from the reviews of betel nut tours that eveyone who goes does seem to enjoy it.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
36 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bears

Hi. We just did the Betelnut Tours trip last Tuesday. We had a lovely day. Aram, the tour leader knows the history of the animals and how they came to be at the sanctuary. The bears have very large enclosures and we watched them frolicking around in large pools and sleeping in hammocks. They looked very happy, as do all the other animals there. One thing to note is that the tour goes by open jeep. It is an hour out of Phnom Penh and the roads are dusty. Something to be aware of if you don't like bumpy rides although they inform you of this all before you book. Hope you do the trip. It is well worth it to see rescued animals that would otherwise have ended up on someone's dinner plate or in a trophy cabinet.

Brighton and Hove...
Level Contributor
36 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bears

Hi. We just did the Betelnut Tours trip last Tuesday. We had a lovely day. Aram, the tour leader knows the history of the animals and how they came to be at the sanctuary. The bears have very large enclosures and we watched them frolicking around in large pools and sleeping in hammocks. They looked very happy, as do all the other animals there. One thing to note is that the tour goes by open jeep. It is an hour out of Phnom Penh and the roads are dusty. Something to be aware of if you don't like bumpy rides although they inform you of this all before you book. Hope you do the trip. It is well worth it to see rescued animals that would otherwise have ended up on someone's dinner plate or in a trophy cabinet.

6. Re: Bears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2014, 05:15