We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phnom Phen to Siem Reap -money not an option

Sydney
Level Contributor
771 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Phnom Phen to Siem Reap -money not an option

I have trailed the posts about the pros and cons of taxi, bus and plane between PP and SR. It seems the preferred choice is the bus based mostly on cost. If you took out the cost as a factor What would be the better option?. Will we miss out on a lot of scenery if we fly given that we will also be travelling by road to Kep/Kampot from PP and Battambang from SR and back and time is a factor also?

Edited: 03 May 2013, 00:06
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
338 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phnom Phen to Siem Reap -money not an option

Others may disagree, but I think if you are doing road from PP to Kep/Kampot and SR to BB then you are probably not going to miss the scenery between PP and SR. You could fly. Alternatively taking a taxi saves you a bit of time compared to the bus, and gives you the flexibility to choose when you will leave, plus you save a bit of time at each end as they will leave straight from your hotel and drop you at your hotel at the other end. I've never flown so I'm not sure how much time it ends up taking once you factor in getting to/from the airports and waiting around - you may find it doesn't save you a lot of time compared to road.

Stafford, England...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phnom Phen to Siem Reap -money not an option

Last time i heard the road PP to SR was terrible and the scenery, well 7 hours of blandness, you would not miss out by missing it. Try and avoid that road, fly or go by BBang,!

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phnom Phen to Siem Reap -money not an option

Hi,

Fly, it's quick and convenient. Don't turn up more than an hour before the flight, it's plenty.

Cheers

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phnom Phen to Siem Reap -money not an option

If money is no object then a private taxi or flight, but I think I would go with the taxi as it's door to door and would probably take the same time as the flight if you consider you have to get to the airport earlier, go through security, then wait for luggage and get to your hotel in siem reap.

Sydney
Level Contributor
771 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phnom Phen to Siem Reap -money not an option

So it's 3 for plane and zero for land. Fly it is then. Thanks guys :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
146 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phnom Phen to Siem Reap -money not an option

We did the plane last year, was very quick and easy, agree get there only an hour before, nothing opens up before this, was a quick flight and luggage was there straight away. Overall wouldn't have been more than two to three hours before we were in our next hotel which I think is a lot quicker than driving . My vote, Plane.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
9,081 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phnom Phen to Siem Reap -money not an option

Re #4,

If a taxi got you door to door in the same time as the flight you probably wake up in hospital having suffered a cardiac arrest on the way.

Cheers

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,833 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phnom Phen to Siem Reap -money not an option

We have been 2 ways, bus & plane, next trip is car lol. The quickest & easiest way is to fly there:)

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
415 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Phnom Phen to Siem Reap -money not an option

That road should be called 'Carnage Alley'.

Sydney
Level Contributor
771 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phnom Phen to Siem Reap -money not an option

I really have given this some thought. 4 1/2 hours to Battambang from PP then 2.1/2 from BB to SR.= 7 hours If we were to go by plane it would be 2 1/2 hours minimum door to door and we still have to do 5 hour round trip to BB = 7 1/2 hrs. So basically no time saving other tan sitting in a bus for 41/2hours straight. Hubby and son still vote for flying. I am sitting in the fence.