We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone in Cambodia...

Wicklow, Ireland
5 posts
Save Topic
Travelling alone in Cambodia...

I will be travelling to cambodia soon to spend some time teaching sewing classes in a community in Takeo, Cambodia. After which i have 1 week to spend travelling before i fly home. How safe is this for a solo female traveler and what is the best way to go about seeing as mush as i can in such a short time.

I plan on travelling to Siem Reap for the first four days and then Phnom Penh for the last three.

I would love to see the Angkor ruins and the Floating Village, (i know, not very original) is there anything else recommended that isnt so touristy? Although I am not turning my noise up at the idea of a tour bus situation, it will probably be the best way to make friends while im on my own.

When they say private tour do they mean just you and the driver/guide?

Any advice will be welcome.

Again, how safe is travelling alone in Cambodia?

Janesville...
Level Contributor
377 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling alone in Cambodia...

Alot of the TA contributors here travel alone to Cambodia- I've been twice alone (single female, 40's) -- the last time for 3 weeks. I can not say enough good things about Cambodia and its lovely people. Just use your common sense and you will be fine. If you dont engage in risky or stupid things, you should be fine.

I hired a good tuk tuk driver and went around by myself - you meet plenty of other tourists at the different temples. The driver will almost always stay with the tuktuk. A guide will come with you.

Wander around and do one of the walking tours (on lonely planet forum) -- stop and talk with shop owners setting up early in the morning.

Read through the trip reports - which will give you an idea on what to do. Read through the list on the right side of the forum.

And please do get travel insurance...............its great if you don't need it ,but if you should get really sick and need good health care - the nearest place would be Bangkok.

And please use a good repellent for the mozzies!

Have fun - you will love it!

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling alone in Cambodia...

I also felt safe travelling alone in Cambodia.

I hired a tuk tuk for 3 days in SR and spent a further 4 days in and around the town.

Personally, I would split my time 5 days SR and 2 in PP.

Have a great time!

Trisha

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
for Kurashiki, Cambodia, Myanmar
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling alone in Cambodia...

Hi Carrie

I often travel around Cambodia solo, and I am also female. It is absolutley safe IF you exercise normal common sense- keep your expensive gadgets (Iphone, laptop, ipod, camera, etc) on you AT ALL TIMES and never leave valuables ot money unatteneded. Leave your bling at home, and if you must wear jewelry (like I do!), stick to silver or costume jewelry.

Poster #2 gives good advice regarding your itinerary, it is better to spend more time in Siem Reap.

While some of the sights get a large number of tourists, there is no way I'd label Angkor Wat (or any other exquisite temple in the area) "touristy". Once you get there and see them with your own eyes, you will know what I mean. If I have a spare day when I'm there I like to walk around the town, and also make it a point to donate blood (Angkor Children's Hospital needs donors!).

Safe travels!

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Level Contributor
309 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling alone in Cambodia...

"keep your expensive gadgets (Iphone, laptop, ipod, camera, etc) on you AT ALL TIMES"

The above is NOT good advice.

Yes, if you travelling on planes, buses, etc. then keep these items with you. But if you are out doing touristy things, lock these items up in your room safe or the hotel safe (ensure the hotel staff give you a receipt acknowledging that they are securing your items).

When out and about only carry what you can afford to lose. Lock up your passport (carry a photocopy of your PP front page and visa) and credit cards in the safe, and carry minimal cash. Do NOT flash cash and expensive items around for all to see.

Opportunistic crime is a world wide problem, and yes it does happen in Cambodia if you do not use common sense. Cambodia is a very safe country for solo travellers, as long as you exercise normal personal safety procedures and apply some common-sense you will be fine.

Enjoy your holiday.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling alone in Cambodia...

There are loads of solo travellers in Cambodia so it won't be a problem as the others have said hire a tuktuk in Siem Reap, he'll know an English speaking guide to visit the temples, then wander around the town on your own to visit the market etc. Same in Phnom Penh, although I would only hire a tuk tuk to take you to the killing fields, you don't really need a guide there.

Wicklow, Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling alone in Cambodia...

Helpful advice, thank you all. any recommended hotels??

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling alone in Cambodia...

What is your budget?

Wicklow, Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling alone in Cambodia...

Maybe 70 to 80 dollars a day? Including food travel and hotel with a day or two at the market, does that sound reasonable?

Wicklow, Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling alone in Cambodia...

Maybe 70 to 80 dollars a day? Including food travel and hotel with a day or two at the market, does that sound reasonable?

Kurashiki, Japan
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
16,070 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling alone in Cambodia...

#4 Many places (small, family-run guesthouses or village bungalows) DO NOT have room or hotel safes. I have never seen one at anyof the places I have ever stayed at in Cambodia, I'm guessing mid-range places would have them. I have known more than a few people who have had things in the safe (at the better hotels that did have them) that had gone missing, and when they reported it, the staff feigned innocence. If you don't want to lose it, carry it with you or leave it at home. There is no way I'm leaving a $1000 + camera lens in any hotel, I'd leave it at home before I'd do that...

Edited: 03 June 2013, 04:28