We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hong Kong customs

The Lou
Level Contributor
40 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Hong Kong customs

I know it may vary but was wondering about an average time lapse for customs in hong kong intl airport w checked bags?

I was curious bc my wife and I are wondering if we have enough time to store our checked luggage and then hop a flight to Cambodia for a few days without all our luggage! Thanks in advance friends:-)

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,668 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hong Kong customs

You are more likely to get the answer by asking in the Air Travel forum. However, an answer to your question will not be enough for deciding if you have time enough.

Knowing the average or rather the typical time needed for the whole arrival process does not guarantee that it will happen in that time. Or it might happen that your bags are delayed and do not turn up in Hong Kong as you arrive. What would be your Plan B if you do not get your bags (soon enough)?

Will you arrive when the baggage storage is open? hongkongairport.com/eng/…left-baggage.html

Are your flights to Cambodia on the same ticket which you are using to arrive in Hong Kong? In that case you may not see your luggage before the final ticketed destination. If the flights to Cambodia are on a separate ticket, you will get your bags in Hong Kong, but then your connection is not protected, i.e. you will lose the ticket to Cambodia if your incoming flight is delayed and you cannot check in in time.

The baggage storage is in the non-secure area of the terminal, which means that you have to go through immigration, collect your bags, go through customs (usually you just walk through if nothing to declare), deposit some of your bags, go to the departures area, check in to Cambodian flight, and finally go through immigration and security. You should be asking how much time that whole process takes.

You also must be aware of when does the check in for your Cambodian flight close. If you plan to take some checked baggage into Cambodia, the time limit is likely to be more strict than when traveling with only hand luggage, but the exact deadlines depend on the airline.

2. Re: Hong Kong customs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 06:18